2860, AP918RDP and 2926 Connection Problems

• icmc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Jan 2021 16:44 #1 by icmc
Hi all
First of all a happy New year to all in the forum.

My Problem
I have a 2926ac connected to the internet and all works fine. I have also connected 2 AP 918 RPD's as a mesh. At the node I have connected a 2860 via LAN cable to the LAN 1.
On the 2926 i have set to LAN's .1.1 and a .2.1. I set up the VLAN and gave .2.1 a TAG 6.
When I connect to the first part either via 1.1 or 2.1 all works fine.
But if i have the 2860 connected at the end of the mesh I get that it cannot provide an IP address. If I connect direct to the 2860 I can ping the 1.1 and the 2.1 that works but I using a mobile device i will not get an IP address.
Si I changed the 2860 on 2.1 as DHCP server and the 2926 on the 2.1 no DHCP. I get now an IP address but NO INTERNET.
What am I doing wrong? What am I not seeing to make this work?
Any help is highly appreciated

Thx
Ian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
05 Jan 2021 21:24 #2 by hornbyp
Could you explain the purpose of the 2860 in this configuration. Is it being used as an Ethernet switch, or is it a wireless model, whose Wi-Fi you want to make use of ?
(or have I completely misunderstood? :wink: )

What's the purpose of the VLAN tag? (As in, why is there only one tag, given that they separate multiple networks on a single wire or wifi link)

• icmc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Jan 2021 23:07 #3 by icmc
Hi hornbyp

Thx for taking time to look at this.
The 2860 is intended to broadcast a guest log in in another building. The network is .2.1
It is used to use the WiFi of that unit to give access to guests. The WiFi is coming from the main building which is the 1.1 network address and stays separate of the .2.1 network.
Well the .2.1 has the Tag 6 and and is set as
VLAN 0 Subnet 1 disabled
VLAN 1 Subnet 2 enabled VID 6

Hope that answers your questions

Thx
Ian

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
06 Jan 2021 00:51 #4 by hornbyp
This forum desperately needs an easy method of drawing a diagram :wink:

I think ...

To keep this guest network completely separate, its VLAN tag (6) needs to be passed all the way through the Mesh network to the 2860. AFAIK, this means the Mesh Nodes will also have to broadcast this SSID and have VLAN tag 6 associated with them. (Also "Enable Bridge VLAN to Mesh" would need enabling). (Even if the Mesh nodes are in a different building and no one actually needs to use this guest SSID there - I don't think the Mesh Network will just pass through arbitrary tags, not associated with it in some way. I could be wrong; you might have to experiment).

Then the guest network on the 2860 would have VLAN tag 6 set, along with the LAN port used to connect it to the AP918. The DHCP server for the .2.0 guest network probably ought to be on the 2926, I reckon.

Even if you give the 2860 a static IP address, you'll struggle to manage it, without connecting directly to it. (I don't think it will let you set a Default Route, that doesn't refer to its WAN port). (The 2860 needs some sort of routing information to communicate with the .1.0 network. Routing Policy might do it). The 2860's clients will be ok, because they will use DHCP and will get a Default Gateway (.2.1?) that way.

• icmc
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Jan 2021 15:01 #5 by icmc
Hi Hornbyp
To keep this guest network completely separate, its VLAN tag (6) needs to be passed all the way through the Mesh network to the 2860. AFAIK, this means the Mesh Nodes will also have to broadcast this SSID and have VLAN tag 6 associated with them. (Also "Enable Bridge VLAN to Mesh" would need enabling).

Have checked this and is as you said

Then the guest network on the 2860 would have VLAN tag 6 set, along with the LAN port used to connect it to the AP918. The DHCP server for the .2.0 guest network probably ought to be on the 2926, I reckon.

Have checked this and is as you said

Even if you give the 2860 a static IP address, you'll struggle to manage it, without connecting directly to it. (I don't think it will let you set a Default Route, that doesn't refer to its WAN port).
Now this part I am not sure of and don't really understand. The WAN port part. How would i set up the WAN port part and would I need to connect the Mesh Node with the LAN cable to the WAN?

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
06 Jan 2021 16:08 #6 by hornbyp

icmc wrote:
How would i set up the WAN port part and would I need to connect the Mesh Node with the LAN cable to the WAN?

No - (though I can see an alternative approach there) - what I meant was ...

There is normally a Default Route out of the 2860 on its WAN port. You need it be on its LAN port instead, but it doesn't make it easy to do this. If you try adding "0.0.0.0" => "192.168.2.254" (for example), the GUI just says "No!". (I've not tried the Telnet interface, nor the Route Policy approach" - they may work).

(The reason you need this, of course, is that if you're sat on the 1.0 network and want to talk to the 2860 on the 2.0 network, the 2860 needs to know how to route its replies back.
I found that it wouldn't accept something specific, such as "192.168.1.0/24" => "192.168.2.254" , but it would accept "192.0.0.0/8" => 192.168.2.254".

I encountered this issue on a 2830, but I'm betting it's the same on the 2860. Also, it affects things like SYSLOG, NTP, DNS etc. As mentioned before, actual clients of the 2860 are OK, because they can be given a Default Gateway via DHCP)