DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2862 WAN 2 issues?Scenario 1 WAN1 Always ON: BT Vdsl (used primarily for remote access) WAN 2 Always ON: Huawei 5G CPE

• sturrock
  • Topic Author
More
14 Feb 2021 12:58 #1 by sturrock
Hi We have 2 x 2862s on 2 sites (both with FW (3.9.4.1) showing similar issues, wondering if it is something we have not set right or if an issue with the 2862 per se??

Scenario 1

WAN1 Always ON: BT Vdsl (used primarily for remote access), but failover via route policy works well (if slow due to limited BT (bandwidth).

WAN 2 Always ON: Huawei 5G CPE Pro with EE 5G sim IP 192.168.8.1
Wan2 socket 2862 set to Static IP of 192.168.8.99 (outside Huawei DNCP Range)

Route Policy for 2862 IP address 192.168.1-254 to use WAN 2 failover to WAN 1 with failback enabled

Issues: When devices connect directly to the Huawei (wired or wireless) there is great performance 99.9 % of the time.
When devices connect directly to the 2862 or AP903 directectly (wired or wireless) performance is ok sometimes then for no reason intermittently the internet stream just stops for a few minutes.
Then intermittently devices fail to connect wirelessly to the Draytek system, until I pull the WAN2 cable out connected to the Huawei then all is fine again.

It is almost as if the WAN2 connection becomes a LAN connection and the DHCP from the Huawei is messing up the 2862 LAN.

Scenario 2 is similar, but with a Virgin SH3 giving the 2862 a DHCP address in the 192.168.0.x range via WAN2.There is a Unifi wifi system. Again all works well when WAN1 adsl/vdsl is being used.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, for testing we could turn DHCP off for the Huawei and Virgin to see if this resolves things but just wondered if we are doing any thing else wrong n the config.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rolandrat
  • User
  • User
More
14 Feb 2021 15:40 #2 by rolandrat
See if you can setup a syslog server a old PC will do and see if that shows anything going on.
My first thought is something in the 'Firewall', 'Defense setup' maybe one of the flood defenses is being activated by the other wan2 routers - this will show up in a syslog.

• sturrock
  • Topic Author
More
14 Feb 2021 16:17 #3 by sturrock

rolandrat wrote:
See if you can setup a syslog server a old PC will do and see if that shows anything going on.
My first thought is something in the 'Firewall', 'Defense setup' maybe one of the flood defenses is being activated by the other wan2 routers - this will show up in a syslog.

thanks will do.
Can I run syslog on the router?

• rolandrat
  • User
  • User
More
14 Feb 2021 16:25 #4 by rolandrat
The router does store some of it, but tbh it so much easier on a PC, so much is sent that what you are looking for may well be gone on the web interface as it only keeps a fraction of the info.
The 'System Maintenance >> SysLog' screen and enter IP address of the PC with syslog running.

• sturrock
  • Topic Author
More
14 Feb 2021 17:05 #5 by sturrock

rolandrat wrote:
The router does store some of it, but tbh it so much easier on a PC, so much is sent that what you are looking for may well be gone on the web interface as it only keeps a fraction of the info.
The 'System Maintenance >> SysLog' screen and enter IP address of the PC with syslog running.

Thanks again.
I'll see if I can log in remotely VPN and run the syslog off site.
Logged in via VPN and took a syslog over 2-3 minutes.

Can't see anything obvious at the moment, but one thing surprises me (it is the 2862 LTE version) is there seems to be a lot of activity reported from the LTE/USB? side even though they are disabled disabled.......

Confession we did upgrade this particular router to 3.9.5 :(