Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Mobile Broadband

• akwe-xavante
  • Topic Author
More
17 Feb 2021 09:11 #1 by akwe-xavante
Mobile Broadband was created by akwe-xavante
Hoping someone can help.

I'm considering moving home and into a house where it would seem that i will only get adsl broadband with a max speed of 2mbps down the landline !!!!!

With this in mind i will need faster access and i need to explore other options such as Satellite, Radio and Mobile Broadband. Openreach have no plans to upgrade the small Hamlet in any way.

The only Mobile signal the property benefits from is Three with 4G being excellent (Not Tested). No idea when if ever 5G will be offered at all.

So i'm exploring a 4G Data SIM option with a Draytek router as a permanent option rather than a fall back.

Will a Draytek router be robust enough to deliver 4G broadband in this way?

What does 4G+ mean? Wil the router upgrade to a 5G service when available?

What is significant about LTE and is this a must requirement?

Is it possible to get a fixed IP address using Mobile broadband? I run my own web server for my small business. Alternatively Draytek were offering DynDNS, does anybody have any experience with this service, how responsive is it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
17 Feb 2021 10:53 #2 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Mobile Broadband
I would ask for help/advice over at Thinkbroadband forum.

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/notspot.html?view=collapsed

There is a USO, universal service obligation that OpenReach have to meet , that might assist you.

Mr.Saffron the forum owner is also able to poke the CEO at OpenReach for information.

You'll need to have the full address and post code and if possible the phone number of the property.

The TBB forum has many BT/ OpenReach people that can assist in cases like this.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
17 Feb 2021 16:00 #3 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Mobile Broadband

akwe-xavante wrote:
I'm considering moving home and into a house where it would seem that i will only get adsl broadband with a max speed of 2mbps down the landline !!!!!

Don't do it :lol:

Our property search in North Devon, involved my 'other half' poring over pictures of ki?chens and me poring over OFCOM's Broadband Coverage checker . :roll:

As @ AdrianH54 , says there is new legislation that says everyone should have access to 'reasonable' Broadband. Unfortunately, 'reasonable' is defined as a lowly 10Mbps :cry:

On a somewhat different note - the forum software has decided, in its wisdom, that the word "KI?CHENS" should be autotranslated as: kitchens (Please don't! :lol: )

More
17 Feb 2021 16:48 #4 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Mobile Broadband
Well to be fair, kiṭchen spam was highly prevalent a few years ago :D

Rather than be stuck with the mobile solution built into the router, I use a 2926ac (other routers are available) with WAN2 set as Wireless Client to an external 4G device (Netgear wifi router at present but possibly changing to a "cheap" 5G Android phone - just ordered a Xiaomi Redmi Note 9T). Flexibility, and has the additional advantage of freeing up an extra LAN port.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
17 Feb 2021 18:29 #5 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Mobile Broadband

Piste Basher wrote:
Well to be fair, ki?chen spam was highly prevalent a few years ago :D

Was that a canned response ? :lol:

More
20 Feb 2021 08:35 #6 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Mobile Broadband
Just a heads up to anyone who might be considering an Android phone "hotspot" - whether connected to a router as I hoped to do or direct to a PC - I bought the Xiomi phone, thinking it might be a "cheap" way of getting 5G. Unfortunately, although the Three SIM I have works perfectly in an Netgear Mobile Hotspot and in an old Android 8 phone, there are problems with the Xiomi phone (Android 10) hotspot.

I can connect the phone to the router (only on 2.4GHz, the 5GHz band doesn't seem to work, and only if I give the phone a fixed IP (192.168.43.x),(DHCP worked from the Netgear and old Android devices) but there is no internet connection. Searching indicates that there are many others (different makes of phone) with the same problem.

Following their advice I added "DUN" to the APN Type.

Further testing reveals that a Windows 10 laptop will connect to the Xiomi hotspot and work with no problems (DHCP and DNS seem to be fine).

Further Googling resulted in me using dns.google as the Private DNS on the phone, but still no joy with the router - it will connect to the phone but that's it, no WAN2 connection to the outside world.

Very frustrating :(