Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Using ADSL Router as WAN on 3910

• hcompston
  • Topic Author
More
23 Feb 2021 19:21 #1 by hcompston
Using ADSL Router as WAN on 3910 was created by hcompston
Hi,
I have a quick question on using one router as the WAN on another.
We have an old 2800 series router that has an ADSL connection and a VPN to our Head Office. We are now replacing it with a 3910 which does not have an RJ11 ADSL connector. So my thought was to use the old Router as the WAN on the new Router by setting it up by passing the LAN from the 2800 to the WAN of the 3910 and setting it up as a static IP WAN. This worked fine. However the problem I have is that the VPN will not connect to the 3910. The settings are identical but it simply fails to establish the connection. Now I think that the issue is that the old router is on the same IP Subnet as the new router which the 3910 is warning of in the Dashboard. But I cannot understand why this would be a problem, I know its probably obvious but I now cannot see the wood for the trees. Any ideas as to why the VPN would not connect. Do you think the old router will need to be on a different subnet?

I think basically we want to use the 2800 series as a ADSL modem into the 3910. This is only a temp measure until we get a leased line in place.

Thanks
Harry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rolandrat
  • User
  • User
More
26 Feb 2021 21:57 #2 by rolandrat
Replied by rolandrat on topic Re: Using ADSL Router as WAN on 3910
Even if you solve your subnet issues you will still be double NAT'ing, its a bit of a minefield and causes all sorts of problems, you would save yourself a load of hassle and pick up a ADSL modem on ebay, they must be practically giving them away these days, a Vigor 120 would be fine.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
27 Feb 2021 01:11 #3 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Using ADSL Router as WAN on 3910

hcompston wrote:
Any ideas as to why the VPN would not connect.

Admittedly for the 2820, rather than the 2800, but see here: https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-passthrough-v2820 and more generally, here: https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-draytek-alg

Do you think the old router will need to be on a different subnet?

I would have thought you want to configure the 2800 as a Bridge/Modem. I don't know if the 2800 could do that - I don't even remember it :wink: