DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Advice needed regarding Vigor 130 & Netgear Router (and BT)

• stellaman
  • Topic Author
More
24 Feb 2021 00:22 #1 by stellaman
I have had my BT Router replaced 3 times over the 5 or 6 years (on and off) that I’ve used them as my ISP, their Customer support is brilliant, but it seems their Hardware cannot live up to their humans !!!

My latest problem was that everything (3 Smart TVs, 2 Google Hubs, 4-7 iPhones, various Laptops, Tablets & iPads, Games Consoles but only 1 at a time … obviously this is never ALL on at the SAME time !!!) was randomly telling me that it was connected, but not to the Internet, which is an absolute joke for someone like me who is working with repairing and upgrading laptops and PCs on a daily basis !!!

I bit the bullet at the weekend and took out the BT Router, replacing it with a Draytek Vigor 130 Router and a NetGear Nighthawk R7000 that I bought 3 years back but that I could never get to work with my Vodafone ISP whilst we were on a break from BT. All Firmware is up to date but I am still having problems. Every now and again the WiFi just drops for 5 minutes, then all goes back to normal, though when it works it does seem to be stronger upstairs which is one of the problems I was addressing.

I obviously have advanced Browser access to the Modem & the Router and I have a basic understanding of these things, but are there settings I can check, or should be adjusting to make this just WORK PROPERLY … that’s all I want ?!?!? Is it possible that it’s the basic speed to my house that’s the problem ? The BT Speed Test won’t work unless it’s their own Router being used, but Ookla tells me I have about 16Mbps coming into the house and whilst I know that’s not fantastic these days (we’re apparently at the end of the line and BT say this is the best they can provide !!!) surely my WiFi should work adequately whilst my wife is watching Netflix, my daughter is watching too upstairs & my son is on his PS4, but I can’t get a strong enough signal to drive an Amazon Firestick ?!?

Can anybody help or do I go back to BT for yet another investigation ?!?!?!?!?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
24 Feb 2021 03:10 #2 by hornbyp

StellaMan wrote:
their Customer support is brilliant

Really? - I fell out with BT repeatedly since I first had the misfortune to deal with them (1983 ish?) ... I won't hear a good word said about them :lol:

16Mbps ... is that a fast ADSL line or a very slow VDSL/FTTC connection? My deepest sympathies if that's the best available to you - but if it is, I'd have to move house :wink:

First off, what service are you supposed to be receiving? (Compare with the competition: https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/broadband-coverage - not forgetting Virgin Media, should you be so fortunate).

Take BT issued plastic box - I mean High quality Router :wink: and insert into BT 'engineering socket' - via a filter ... i.e. with any house wiring disconnected. Then plug your bestest PC into Router with an ethernet lead and try some speedtests. There are zillions to choose from, but they all ought to be in the same ballpark. My favourite is Netflix's: https://fast.com .

Hopefully, all the speedtests will be of the same order of magnitude and more or less stable (and bear some resemblance to your advertised service). Obviously, if not, it's for BT and/or Openreach to fix (since you're using all their supplied equipment).
(If necessary, you can stick a handset in and do some basic tests, like a Quiet-line test. See: https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Performing-a-Quiet-Line-Test )

Assuming all is as it should be, it's a matter of re-introducing your kit, in a orderly manner to ascertain where the fault lies. First reintroduce the house wiring (if any). Then Vigor + Netgear, still wired to PC next. Assuming that all goes ok, it will be time to look at the Wifi. This really comes down to making sure the Router is positioned in the best possible place (if you're to avoid needing Repeaters) and that it doesn't clash with anybody else's - channel-wise. Use different SSID's on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, so you know which you're connecting to. 5GHz is faster than 2.4GHz, but might get stopped in its tracks by thick walls etc. You want the greatest channel width available - but without overlapping your neighbours.

It's worth noting that a Google search: for Nighthawk R7000 issues came back with rather a lot of hits. I didn't investigate in detail - but it looks worthwhile ensuring you have their latest/greatest firmware installed!

There are visual Wifi analyser apps. available for Android (and I assume Iphone). In Android's case, they're best run on fairly old Android versions (because they're allowed to query the wifi status more often) - but the device needs to be new enough to have 5GHz wifi built-in.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
24 Feb 2021 06:16 #3 by adrianh54
1) if you only have adsl2 @ 16Mbps you are not going to be able to run all the streaming/chatting /downloading etc. your family are wanting.

2) WiFi performance is nothing to do with the ISP/connection , that is all down to your setup and any local interference.

3) BT speedtest works with ANY router when you use a BT supplied service, even from other ISP's using BT based services.

4) Put your phone number into this checker to see your connection details and what is available and may be coming

>> https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL <<

5) If you can't get anything else on the phone line you should think about a 3/4G connection for your work set up.

More
13 Mar 2021 17:15 #4 by the pit
Slight correction on 2) If you have a slow isp it doesn't matter what wi fi you have your internet connection won't go any faster however local network browsing will be quicker. That's why ISP's will now generally only supply 2.4ghz modems for slow connections. Pointless having 5gz when the isp can't provide faster speeds. it also saves them some money.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
13 Mar 2021 19:11 #5 by adrianh54

Pointless having 5gz when the isp can't provide faster speeds. it also saves them some money.

Except that 2.4GHz is usually very poor and unreliable due to being overcrowded. 5GHz will be a lot less prone to interference.