• tim2021
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Feb 2021 10:52 #1 by tim2021
Vigor 2860 not responding was created by tim2021
Hi,

I've got a Vigor 2860 (Firmware Version: 3.8.8_BT), which is connected to a fibre leased line on the WAN port. I do have a backup ADSL connection but by default that's only used if the main connection fails. I have two separate VLANs. All other settings are pretty much default.

99% of the time, the router works fine but occasionally (every 3-6 months) it locks out and stops responding i.e. I can't ping it and I can't connect to the web interface and I lose my internet connection via the leased line. The router doesn't detect a line failure and doesn't switch to the ADSL backup. If I pull the WAN cable out and put it back, I was able to connect to the router for a brief of period of time but it locked out again. However if I reboot the router, when it restarts everything is back to normal and there are no issues.

The main problem is that when this occurs, it's usually at a inconvenient time and I need to get it functioning again quickly, so I don't have much time to run any diagnostics and after the reboot everything is back to normal.

I was wondering whether anyone has seen something similar and what diagnostics are available to try and pin down what is happening? When the problem occurs, I obviously can't connect to it to see what's happening.

Could this be a time based thing i.e. the router is runs out of some sort of resource and fails? I was tempted to make it reboot monthly on a schedule.

Any help gratefully received.

Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
25 Feb 2021 02:24 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 2860 not responding

Tim2021 wrote:
Could this be a time based thing i.e. the router is runs out of some sort of resource and fails? I was tempted to make it reboot monthly on a schedule.

It's certainly possible.

However, note that it's missed eight firmware releases - current release is 3.8.9.8. There are a few mentions of 'Web GUI stops responding' type problems in the Release Notes, along with a variety of other fixes. I know from personal experience (after reporting faults and receiving beta software), that the Release Notes don't necessarily document everything that's changed.

Beware a bug I am currently experiencing - namely software-commanded auto-reboots don't work (at least not in a timely manner). So far, I've fallen back one firmware version and the issue is still there. I don't use scheduled reboots, so I don't know if those are affected. (I also don't know if this is just something specific to my configuration).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.