• mbames
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
25 Feb 2021 16:33 #1 by mbames
Vigor 2925 and mobile tethering was created by mbames
Has anyone had success with this?

Historically I used to use a 3g USB dongle as a backup incase of fixed line issues and had no problems.

Tried the guide
https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-wan-wireless

it detects phone (iphone) and SSID, I add the mac address, and then hotspot password, reboot but it never connects.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
25 Feb 2021 17:33 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 2925 and mobile tethering
As part of this debacle , I've recently had it working on my 2860n ...
...on the 2860n, it only connects, when it's needed - unless it's set to "Always on" - in the 'active mode' setting.

Just a thought - I take it the iPhone doesn't do its marvellous 'dynamic MAC' trick, when it's being a HotSpot? ... that would mess things up :wink:

More
25 Feb 2021 17:59 #3 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor 2925 and mobile tethering
It's not just me then :lol:

But the bad news (for you) is that my old 2925 connects to my phone. It's the newer 2926 that doesn't.

Are you trying it on 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz or both?

• mbames
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
25 Feb 2021 18:37 #4 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: Vigor 2925 and mobile tethering
trying on 2.4Ghz... set to always on, tried pulling the WAN1 cable to force it into playing.

even tried changing the phones name to remove the ' which appears to the SSID used for the hotspot name. Arh, just seen the MAC address changes. WTF?!

• mbames
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
25 Feb 2021 19:00 #5 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: Vigor 2925 and mobile tethering
I removed the mac address, rebooted, and rescanned twice. The second rescan returned no devices.

ignored the reboot message, and returned to the WAN status page and it had connected.

and this post will be via mobile data...

*edit* seems to keep dropping the connection, so certainly isn't very stable and then you are left to fanny about in the interface hitting scan a few times and hope it might work again.

More
26 Feb 2021 13:14 #6 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor 2925 and mobile tethering
Well you seem to have progressed further with your 2925 than I have with my 2926 - as I say elsewhere, my Scan button on 2.4Ghz just causes the router to "lock up" now, requiring a reboot. On 5Ghz I have had to hit Scan several times before it will do anything (although this morning it simply refused to scan at all until I rebooted), but even when it does it can't detect the phone.

I'm tempted to try a 2927, although knowing my luck with previous Drayteks as soon as I buy one they'll bring out a wifi 6 version (2928 anyone?) :roll:

Of course there's no guarantee that the 2927 will be any different - if anyone reading this has tried it with a newish iPhone or Android phone I'd be very interested to hear....