• Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
26 Feb 2021 15:34 #7 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: Vigor 2925 and mobile tethering
Just had a call with support and we got it working more reliably

Key things to note:
  • Dynamic DNS, set it to WAN1 only (mine was set to WAN1 first)

• Set the Wireless LAN | General Setup | Mode: to Mixed (11b+11g+11n) as it detects the phone *much* faster than on 11n only

• Make sure the Channel matches the channel the iPhone is operating on. My iPhone seemed to jump between 6 and 11

We did notice that on some AP Discovery scans a device showed up with no name, and generally my iPhone would be missing (once the blank device and my iPhone showed up)

I'll keep an eye on it for the next few days, but it worst it seems that the steps might be:
  • Enable hotspot on phone

• It should connect - if not do an AP Scan and check the channel, adjust if necessary

I think that Draytek should send us some free units to evaluate for them :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
27 Feb 2021 01:23 #8 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 2925 and mobile tethering

mbames wrote:
Make sure the Channel matches the channel the iPhone is operating on. My iPhone seemed to jump between 6 and 11

When I tried it on the 2860n, it just set the channel itself, to match the Hotspot it had selected. What wasn't immediately obvious was the actual meaning of the phrase:

"Note: If Channel is modified, the Channel setting of wireless 2.4G would be also modified"

Or in other words, if you select that Hotspot, that is on Channel 6, I'm going to change the 2860's SSIDs to Channel 6 too. (Despite the fact that you don't want them on Channel 6 :x ).

I understand why it has to do this (only one radio) - but you really need a mobile phone that let's choose the channel for the Hotspot.

More
27 Feb 2021 09:26 #9 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor 2925 and mobile tethering
I gave up trying to use the 5GHz band on my phone hotspot as the router could never find it.

Reverting to 2.4GHz, I used Acrylic on the laptop to determine that the phone is currently using Channel 1.

The DynDNS settings are slightly different on the 2926 but I have ensured that it is set to WAN 1.

I always have had "11b + 11g + 11n" set on the 2.4GHz band, so I left it at that to start.

I entered the hotspot SSID, MAC address, Channel and Password in the WAN 2 settings page.

This is what I see

Although the router can "see" the phone it never receives an IP address and never connects.

As you can see, the router reports a "PHY Mode " of 11n

Bizarrely, if I set the router to use "11n only" on 2.4GHz, this screen then shows a "PHY Mode" of 11g :!: :!:

But still no connection....

• mbames
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Feb 2021 10:57 #10 by mbames
I've tried mine a couple of times, and each time it has successfully connected, was a bit slower to get the IP address/mobile connection today. My PHY mode always reports as 11n

Anything useful in the syslog explorer for WAN?

More
28 Feb 2021 11:01 #11 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor 2925 and mobile tethering
My Syslog (I have it running on a PC) shows nothing at all for WAN 2 :|

There definitely seems to be something wrong with my 2926 though - if I click AP Discovery on 2.4GHz the router just "locks up" for several minutes. Eventually the GUI responds again but there are no results in the "Discovery" window. Clients still connect to it though. Weird.

• mbames
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Feb 2021 11:14 #12 by mbames
I just disabled the hotspot on the phone and syslog showed WAN2 down, but then failed to spot when it cam back online, or when it connected (as per previous "good" image). it is almost like syslog is a bit selective as to what it decides to report on.

I've not taken a modern vigor apart since a 2800 (or was it a 2600?), can you switch out the wifi module? I had one previously which was bad, and when removed, the firmware just detected it was missing and removed it from the side menu with no adverse affects. Discovery is weird on mine, sometimes the list is short, hit refresh and it magically fines another 3 or 4 APs....