Port forwarding from a dynamic IP address supplied by NoIP

• blcooper
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Feb 2021 13:38 #1 by blcooper
Hi

I am trying to set up port forwarding of two ports so I can setup rsync of two Nas at different sites. One site (with Draytek) has a static IP address and one site (with Virgin router) has a dynamic IP address.

The port forwarding I want to do is:-

Wan Source IP: NoIP dynamic address (Virgin router end)
TCP Ports: 22, 873
Target: public static IP address then NAT to 192.168.x.x (static local destination)

On other routers I've set this up by defining an alias to the openDNS account and then specifying the alias in the port forwarding rule.

Can something like this be done in the 2862 router?

Thanks
Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
27 Feb 2021 19:48 #2 by hornbyp

blcooper wrote:
Can something like this be done in the 2862 router?

I can't see why not. It doesn't seem very secure though!

Some notes:

You can probably treat the Virgin Media end as a 'static' address, for all intents and purposes. IP addresses don't tend to change for months on end (usually triggered by VM rejigging part of their network).

DNS isn't relevant - the Vigor just NAT's whatever comes in from the WAN, to whichever local device you've specified (by IP address). If you want to change ports during this phase, use "Port Redirection", else "Open Ports" will suffice.

You might want a Firewall rule, to specify exactly who on the big, bad, Internet is allowed to use this facility! Again, the Firewall uses IP addresses, rather than DNS names.

The router has a remote Telnet facility, which (even if not enabled) occupies port 22 - so you need to move that elsewhere.

More
24 Mar 2021 17:10 #3 by akwe-xavante
Me thinks you have two locations?

One end is a draytek router with a fixed IP address?

The other is a Virgin router with a dynamic IP address?

If so i think all you need to do is create a LAN to LAN VPN between the two. Setup the Draytek Router (Fixed IP address as dial in) and the virgin router end (Dynamic IP address as dial out).

You then have a secure VPN between the two sites.

Then just map the NAS across as say Drive Q: //10.1.1.25/ to access the root of the NAS or //10.1.1.25/AccessibleDirectoryName/ to access a specific directory on the NAS.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
24 Mar 2021 19:34 #4 by hornbyp

akwe-xavante wrote:
Setup the Draytek Router (Fixed IP address as dial in) and the virgin router end (Dynamic IP address as dial out).

You then have a secure VPN between the two sites.

Have Virgin Media started supplying a Router that can be a VPN End-point? (I'll be very impressed if they have)