3910 and 2962 Ping Times

• trevc80
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Mar 2021 13:17 #1 by trevc80
3910 and 2962 Ping Times was created by trevc80
The two newest "Enterprise class" routers from Draytek, both running the same newer DrayOS.
Has anyone else noticed that even straight out the box, connected only to a laptop for config, pinging the device on it's LAN address results in 1-2ms and some much higher Ping responses?
ANY other Draytek device, even lower 2762 models and older 2832/2860 for example, are all a constant <1ms as you would expect. These new "Enterprise class" devices very rarely obtain <1ms.
Bring them into the real world production environment, this ping issue can get far worse and shows itself with VoIP calls.
I'm talking about them being this bad straight out of box though, just upgrade the firmware, nothing else.
This can't be right?
Followed the same behaviour since March 2020 on the 3910, had to return to seller as unusable. Seems because the 2962 is on the same OS, it has the same issues :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• snowberry
  • User
  • User
More
05 Mar 2021 12:45 #2 by snowberry
Replied by snowberry on topic Re: 3910 and 2962 Ping Times
I've stopped using my 2962 - I don't consider it stable. Going to wait until a couple of firmware updates have come out before trying again. I've made this mistake before, committing to new Draytek kit before it should have been released to market.

My specific problem was when connected by VPN to NordVPN, and using a torrent client over the VPN with only moderate activity, normal internet activity would grind to a halt on both that client, and any other client on the network. A pretty constant normal SpeedTest of 800Mbps would plummet down to very juddery 300-400Mbps. Other traffic over the VPN link had no effect. Took a while to work out what the problem was. Went back to my 2952, and tried an old 3220, and they work flawlessly.

• rolandrat
  • User
  • User
More
06 Mar 2021 22:13 #3 by rolandrat
Replied by rolandrat on topic Re: 3910 and 2962 Ping Times
I thought DrayOS has been around since year dot, they only ventured into the Linux version for a couple of models many years ago, so DrayOS is not really new.

I cant get anything other than 1ms on a basic command line ping, does that actually show <1ms, im not sure.

Theres plenty things wrong with the 3910, much stuff still missing after a year, but a ping from a lan device isnt one of them here.

Still havent found a 10Gbe LAN, multi WAN router out there for home user that can match this yet, UDM-pro & Qnap 301 thing are only others at my sort of price range and they are no where near as configurable.

More
11 Mar 2021 10:10 #4 by debz9676
Replied by debz9676 on topic Re: 3910 and 2962 Ping Times
Hi All,
We have upgraded one of our customers to a 3910 and we are getting the same problem. Ping timeout VoIP traffic degraded Google remote desktop unusable. We upgraded to the latest firmware which have no effect we even had DrayTek UK send us a baiter firmware version and was still getting the same problems. Put the old reliable 3900 in which resolve the problem.

Debz

More
16 Mar 2021 15:49 #5 by sdltom
Replied by sdltom on topic Re: 3910 and 2962 Ping Times
Hi

Since installing the beta 3.9.3_Beta r1442_93602/v10 the routers have been solid but not had worked very hard. So I just copied some large ISO files between servers on different VLANs and the 3910 is acting weird again. RDP is dropping and pings are timing out!

:( I have used Draytek for over 15 years and thought in getting these devices I would be guaranteed reliability.

Does it not worry you that these issues are not yet fixed? Are these devices beyond repair? I wish I had read this forum before I purchased them :(

Thanks,

Tom

More
19 Mar 2021 12:18 #6 by the pit
Replied by the pit on topic Re: 3910 and 2962 Ping Times
Whats the processors doing when you transferring files?