SOLVED - 2927 Firewall not working

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
18 Mar 2021 02:27 #19 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: 2927 Firewall not working

I wrote:
In the meantime - now I know how to use the "Diagnose" function - I'm going to work my way through my own, and prove that they all trigger...

As I commenced this mammoth task (and discovered that I really need 3 concurrent GUI sessions to the 2860 :cry: ), I noticed something...

Piste Basher wrote:
Update on 17th - I've tried it again, this time re-booting after setting up Rule 2 - still no joy, packet still not handled by the firewall :?:

Are you testing the Firewall with a valid (i.e. open) destination Port, as well as valid WAN IP address :?:

My first Set of Rules, says:-

1.) WAN (everyone) -> LAN (anyone) Block if no further match
2.) Group comprising various Chinese Web Spiders, Nasty 'census' tools etc, -> LAN (anyone:any port) = BLOCK.
3.) DNS and stuff - Pass if it's from 'Buddyns'
4.) SMTP and Web - Pass if no further match.

I tried with 198.20.69.74 (god knows who they are, or why they're in my list :roll: ), using Port 1 -> My WAN, Port:1 (Using Port 1 to save typing :wink: )
and it DIDN'T fire any Rule ... it said "Packet not handled by Firewall"

However, repeating it with a target port that is defined in the 'Open Ports' list (53,80,25 etc), it DID trigger Set #1, Rule #2

In other words, "not handled by Firewall" seems to also mean that it fell at the first hurdle (inbound NAT) and was simply discarded :idea:

(By this point, it is becoming apparent that my understanding of Draytek's Firewall implementation, is , er, not quite the same as theirs :roll: )

Continuing..,

My second set, is basically just a huge list of people who have upset me over the years :)

So if I 'send' a packet from 38.0.0.1 => MyWan:80, it triggers a Rule in Set #2. But if I 'send' it to an arbitrary (closed) Port, I get "Packet is not handled by Firewall)"

There also seem to be a discrepancy between the Firewall 'Diagnose' function, and what gets sent to Syslog (if the Rule is set to do that).

If I enable Syslog on that Set #1, Rule #1 - Block if no further match, it generates lots of output - which when fed back into the Diagnose function just give "Not handled".
These seem to be mainly the 'back end' of conversations: for example, 52.30.199.89:443 => somelanclient:36440 ... it's arguable whether it's the Firewall misbehaving, or the remote system - but either way, the actual Firewall and the "Diagnose" function do not work the same way :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• chaser
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Mar 2021 06:06 #20 by chaser
Replied by chaser on topic Re: 2927 Firewall not working

hornbyp wrote:
As I commenced this mammoth task (and discovered that I really need 3 concurrent GUI sessions to the 2860 :cry: ), I noticed something...

Piste Basher wrote:
Update on 17th - I've tried it again, this time re-booting after setting up Rule 2 - still no joy, packet still not handled by the firewall :?:

Are you testing the Firewall with a valid (i.e. open) destination Port, as well as valid WAN IP address :?:

<...SNIP...>

In other words, "not handled by Firewall" seems to also mean that it fell at the first hurdle (inbound NAT) and was simply discarded :idea:

Good point. I just tested on my firewall and I see the same behaviour. I'll need to update one of my earlier posts to reflect this behaviour.

• chaser
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Mar 2021 06:24 #21 by chaser

chaser wrote:
If I use the diagnostic tool on 212.70.149.71 it blocks on Set 1, Rule 3 (note that rules 2 & 3 are identical). If I then disable rule 3 from set 1 using the WebGUI:

<...Snip...>

This time, if I use the diagnostic tool with exactly the same 212.70.149.71 address (and all the same other parameters) the tool reports a pass on Default Set, Default Rule. Rule 2 has not been triggered. The IP addresses in Set 1 Rules 4 and 5 don't work either, unless I put those IP addresses into Rule 3. If they're in rule 3 the firewall will then block them.

Go figure!

I just noticed an error in that earlier post. I was using 188.162.199.76 with the diagnostic tool. Not 212.70.149.71. Post updated to reflect the correct IP address. Hopefully it makes more sense now!

More
18 Mar 2021 08:31 #22 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 2927 Firewall not working

No, I was taking the various "instructions" (posted by the earlier thread you quoted etc) literally, where they all say "port can be anything", such as 1234, when running the diagnostic. I have tried it with 80 and 465.

But since the "Destination" is my WAN address - and there are lots of devices with open ports 80 and various others behind that address, what more can I do to "open" a valid port?

• chaser
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Mar 2021 09:00 #23 by chaser

Piste Basher wrote:

No, I was taking the various "instructions" (posted by the earlier thread you quoted etc) literally, where they all say "port can be anything", such as 1234, when running the diagnostic. I have tried it with 80 and 465.

I corrected my earlier post, where I now say that the Destination port must be an open port on the router. This is what it says now:

chaser wrote:
Mode: TCP IPV4
Direction: From WAN
Dest IP: My WAP IP4 address
Dest Port: 465 (needs to be a valid port that is open or redirected on your router) <--- Updated based on discussions further down on this thread
Src IP: 212.70.149.71
Src Port: 1234 (but can be anything)

Piste Basher wrote:
But since the "Destination" is my WAN address - and there are lots of devices with open ports 80 and various others behind that address, what more can I do to "open" a valid port?

Under the NAT heading on your router WebGUI you need to make sure you've opened a port or redirected a port to a device on your LAN.

More
18 Mar 2021 09:35 #24 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 2927 Firewall not working
There are a goodly number of devices with both redirected ports and open ports on my LAN.

Since I have multiple WAN addresses I thought I'd try a different one (which directs to an IP camera) - on my first try with "diagnose" from 212.70.149.71 port 80 to this WAN port 80 I get "packet passed by default rule" :!:

Rule 2, the Block Immediately rule, appeared to have been completely ignored.

However, in the "Advanced" section of the Rule set up I then ticked on "All WANS" and "All LANS"

Running the test again and this time Blocked :D

Success!