DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2926 router connected to works network, no internet

• markaut
  • Topic Author
More
15 Mar 2021 16:31 #1 by markaut
I'm trying to connect the 2926 router using the works network as the WAN so I have a lab with its own small network with everything under my control. My issue is that while the WAN LED is on, I have no connection to the world outside the draytek.
I've done this before without problem in other places with it working out of the box, my home network has the draytek as a secondary router. I've had no difficulty at work with a borrowed tp link router, but there must be a setting I've got wrong somewhere with this draytek stopping connected devices seeing the internet. I am told by IT that the works network /shouldn't/ be blocking me (as evidenced by the TP-Link working).

Works IP address range is 194.66.xxx.xxx, and I'm expecting the draytek address range to be 192.168.1.xxx

When I connect it up, all devices on the draytek can see each other, but nothing can contact the outside world (ie internet) through the wan. I can set the draytek up in bridge mode and everything works, but I don't have the control I need if I do that.

IP address, subnet and gateway all appear to be picked up correctly and I've tried a few DNS servers with no success.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
16 Mar 2021 05:53 #2 by hornbyp
Given who that 194.66.x.x IP address range belongs to, isn't there anybody there who can help :shock:

Anyway...

Presumably the 2926 is using DHCP to obtain an IP address for its WAN port? Can you ping the assigned Default Gateway, using the Router's diagnostics?
What does a Traceroute out to the Internet show?
"Diagnostics >> Route Policy Diagnosis" should shed some light on things as well.

Does DNS work?

If all is well from the Router itself, you need to perform the same sorts of diagnostics from one of the 2926's LAN clients.

• markaut
  • Topic Author
More
16 Mar 2021 13:36 #3 by markaut
Thanks for the reply. It's an odd one. With the D-Link in the middle, the ping test to the gateway works perfectly.

Pinging with Source IP = 192.168.11.2.
Pinging 192.168.11.1 with 64 bytes of Data through WAN1:
Receive reply from 192.168.11.1, time=4.9ms
Receive reply from 192.168.11.1, time=10.0ms
Packets: Sent = 5, Received = 5, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 4.9/8.9/10.0/2.3 ms

if connecting directly to works network:

Pinging with Source IP = 194.66.241.155.
Pinging 194.66.241.1 with 64 bytes of Data through WAN1:
Request timed out !!!
Request timed out !!!
Request timed out !!!
Request timed out !!!
Request timed out !!!
Packets: Sent = 5, Received = 0, Lost = 5 (100% loss)

I don't seem to be able to see anything on the works network if I try to connect directly to it without the D-Link in the way.

I'm running factory reset, with firmware version 4.2.2

I'll be honest, most of the settings are way beyond me. My networking skills are more at the user/advanced user than proper admin level.

I suspect now that the works network is identifying the hardware and is blocking it, but I'm finding it very hard to prove it. When I updated the firmware on the DrayTek (while connected to the D-Link) the D-Link stopped working. 20 mins later it came back as good as ever. It feels as if the network had temporarily blocked it as some form of security.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
16 Mar 2021 17:27 #4 by hornbyp
Based on the results of your diagnostics so far, I'm a little confused...

What is the address of the "Network" that the WAN port of the 2926 connects to?

Is it 194.66.0.0 ? (which is actually a 'real' i.e. 'public' Internet network) [or is it 192.168.11.0 ? (or, is 192.168.11.0 just what the D-Link used for its LAN?)]

(Your 'private' LAN network, you have stated to be 192.168.1.0)

So...

I would expect you to be able to see ( in the 2926's "Online Status" dashboard), that it has an IP address from the 194.66.0.0 network, and also a Gateway IP on that network. I would expect you to be able ping that Gateway address, using the 2926's inbuilt "Diagnosis" options. Presumably, you should also be able to ping something out on the Internet. (If the Router itself is being 'blocked' somewhere, then its clients have no chance - because of NAT, they're using the Router's IP address)

I would expect your LAN clients to receive an address from the 192.168.1.0 network and be able to ping the Draytek and the Draytek's gateway. If they can't get as far as that second gateway, they obviously won't be able to access anything (ie 'the internet') beyond it. If they can't reach the Draytek's WAN Gateway, then something in the Draytek is the culprit. In that case, the "Route Policy Diagnosis" tool should help find out why.

(In short, break the problem down into simple steps.)