DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2860 Firmware 3.9.0 - Don't do it!!

• hornbyp
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Mar 2021 01:12 #1 by hornbyp
I was notified of the availability of version V3.9.0 by Draytek: Since this seems quite a 'special' version number in Draytek's world, I quickly installed it - hoping to see some new features, that they'd not mentioned in the Release Notes...

Well ,there don't seem to be any such 'new features', but it's quite hard to tell, because it crashed and rebooted about 4 times in 5 minutes :o
There could be something specific about my config. it doesn't like (it 'found' my USB stick several times, decided there wasn't enough memory to bring up the VPN and locked me out of the GUI.)

Apart from that, it's wonderful :wink:

Version 3.8.9.8 duly restored. :x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2021 13:36 #2 by admin3
Please report that to support because the issue might be specific to your network config and won't be resolved in the next firmware if you don't report it.

I've got 3.9.0BT working well on some of my Vigor 2860 routers without issue, so far.

Forum Administrator

• hornbyp
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Sep 2022 01:25 #3 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 2860 Firmware 3.9.0 - Don't do it!!
I finally got to the bottom of why V3.9.0, 3.9.1 & 3.9.2 made my 2860n unstable.

It was something to do with the presence of a USB Flash drive...

The 2860 was stable with the flash drive present, after being reset to factory settings and upgraded to 3.9.2. After applying all the available 'individual backups' (i.e. Firewall Rules etc), it was still stable but restoration of the main Configuration Backup rendered it unusable again.

Pulling out the flash drive (which was being used for something 'lost in the mists of time', that completely escape me now), fixed the issue :!:

The only mention of anything USB-related in the Release Notes, is support for the "Huawei E3372h-320 modem". You wouldn't think this would foul-up handling of USB flash drives, unless they tried really hard :roll:

More
08 Sep 2022 11:56 #4 by ianfretwell
Replied by ianfretwell on topic Re: Vigor 2860 Firmware 3.9.0 - Don't do it!!
Except that the Huawei E3372h-320 modem still doesn't work if you've got one...regardless of what support will insist if you tell them this....clearly the two I've got are both broken but the router is fine...

More
09 Sep 2022 08:29 #5 by desquinn
Replied by desquinn on topic Re: Vigor 2860 Firmware 3.9.0 - Don't do it!!
I am sure in their unexpected reboots article there is something about taking our USB drives as part of the diag process. I put it down to common sense but I think I also read somehitng aobut the extra memory or performance requirements.

Speculating that formats and services provided may also contribute.

Des Quinn

More
11 Oct 2022 19:54 #6 by brich101
Replied by brich101 on topic Re: Vigor 2860 Firmware 3.9.0 - Don't do it!!
That's interesting. I recently got a 2860ac and D-Link DWM-222 USB 4G Dongle. Upgraded the firmware to 3.9.2 as soon as I got it, so can't vouch for previous versions. All working fine, but when I plug the 4G dongle in, the router sends itself into a reboot loop every 20/30 seconds. Glad to see I'm not the only one!0

Brendan