DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2927 - Failover only for specific clients

More
25 Mar 2021 07:59 #1 by dush
Hi all,

New user of the Vigor 2927 - used to have a 2920 years ago which worked great.

I was surprised to see the addition of latency/packet loss/jitter as conditions for failover to a WAN interface. That sounds amazing because in all previous dual WAN routers I often had to do manual failover when a non simple internet outage resulted in poor performance/packet loss etc.

WAN2 (Virgin Media) is primary. I'd like to setup a rule that says for X clients (specified by IP address) failover to WAN 1 (Plusnet) when packet loss/jitter is over X. The reason I don't want it universally is I don't mind packet/loss jitter I get from VM on my main server, as none of that is real time. So I don't want the router to failover to Plusnet for all clients which only has 76Mbps of bandwidth when most clients would be be happy on VM's 352mpbs even with high packet loss.

Is that possible?
Thanks for any help in advance :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2021 11:29 #2 by admin3
You should be able to do this with the Routing > Load Balance/Route Policy, set up a rule with the Source of your selected IP Group, then set tha failover path you want to use.

For the rest of the clients, create another rule below it (so it's processed after) that would apply to Source IP: All with just the regular WAN specified and no failover path.

Having it failover for a set level of packet loss should be possible in future, but I'm not sure if it's there with current firmware.

Forum Administrator

More
31 Mar 2021 14:56 #3 by dush
Thanks for the response - I'll give it a shot!

More
31 Mar 2021 17:24 #4 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor 2927 - Failover only for specific clients

dush wrote:

I was surprised to see the addition of latency/packet loss/jitter as conditions for failover to a WAN interface.

Where do you see that?

More
01 Apr 2021 07:08 #5 by dush
https://imgur.com/Qls1ACo

Packet loss is actually already there too. My VM connection has been behaving recently so no need to test it out yet, but good to know for any future over utilization issues.

That's on the WAN settings page (General setup). You need to ensure you have some IP's to ping so it can monitor those stats. Unfortunately there's no SNMP traps to report on those, would have been super useful if there was

More
01 Apr 2021 10:53 #6 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor 2927 - Failover only for specific clients
Ah thank you - I hadn't seen those options because I use the Route Policy settings to handle failover, with my WAN3 set to "always on" but not load-balancing.