2962 usb access

• mike.smith
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Mar 2021 12:37 #1 by mike.smith
2962 usb access was created by mike.smith
Anyone had any success connecting a stick to the usb on the 2962? I have tried a number of different usb devices with no success.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2021 10:05 #2 by chris_draytek
Replied by chris_draytek on topic Re: 2962 usb access
Different router (2765ac), same prob; of several sticks and USB HDD units tried, only 1 8GB USB stick and 1 1TB Iomega HDD drive worked. The others (32 GB and 64 GB USB sticks, two different 500 GB USB HDD units) all trigger the green light and the indicator on the dashboard; but apart from the two successful devices, for all others the "USB devices" page shows the size but says it is not connected and has no free space. Neither of the refresh options on the Draytek USB Devices page makes any change.

I wanted to use the USB connected drive for FTP, so really only the larger sizes make sense here.

The Iomega 1TB drive worked for several hours but became painfully slow. The drive itself, when checked elsewhere, seemed totally functional. This looked like an issue with the router.

Draytek say to use FAT32; however a Windows 10 system offers only "exFAT". Is this compatible? My Linux systems appear to offer a genuine FAT32 option, but I am wary as a stick formatted to FAT in Linux usually provokes Windows into attempting to repair it.

• mike.smith
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
14 May 2021 13:27 #3 by mike.smith
Replied by mike.smith on topic Re: 2962 usb access
You need to either purchase a utility to do the format into FAT32 or use the powershell command line. Once I had reformatted the disk and rebooted the router my stick was accepted.

More
14 May 2021 17:51 #4 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: 2962 usb access

chris_draytek wrote:
Different router (2765ac), same prob; of several sticks and USB HDD units tried, only 1 8GB USB stick and 1 1TB Iomega HDD drive worked. The others (32 GB and 64 GB USB sticks, two different 500 GB USB HDD units) all trigger the green light and the indicator on the dashboard; but apart from the two successful devices, for all others the "USB devices" page shows the size but says it is not connected and has no free space. Neither of the refresh options on the Draytek USB Devices page makes any change.

I wanted to use the USB connected drive for FTP, so really only the larger sizes make sense here.

The Iomega 1TB drive worked for several hours but became painfully slow. The drive itself, when checked elsewhere, seemed totally functional. This looked like an issue with the router.

Draytek say to use FAT32; however a Windows 10 system offers only "exFAT". Is this compatible? My Linux systems appear to offer a genuine FAT32 option, but I am wary as a stick formatted to FAT in Linux usually provokes Windows into attempting to repair it.

Once you plug your USB drive in, from Windows Explorer you should be able to choose the 'Format' option and then choose 'FAT32'.

• richjg
  • User
  • User
More
20 May 2021 17:38 #5 by richjg
Replied by richjg on topic Re: 2962 usb access
Windows GUI has a 32GB limit on FAT32 partitions, which is why it only offers exFAT when you try to format a larger partition / volume. Hence the suggestion to use PowerShell or an alternative such a 3rd party util or a Linux box etc. :)

https://www.theregister.com/2021/01/04/windows_format_fat32/ etc