DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Transparent Proxy File Cache? Vigor 2800 Series Routers?

• pinpinpoola
  • Topic Author
More
08 Apr 2021 15:18 #1 by pinpinpoola
Hi,

I have a very slow Internet connection (sub 2 Mbps) and I am trying to learn Kubernetes/Docker, which requires a fair amount of repetitive large identical file downloading.

Is it possible to connect a USB stick/SSD disk via USB to a Vigor 2800 series router and have it cache static content / large files (.ISO images/etc) to said SSD?

Many Thanks,
Pin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
08 Apr 2021 18:40 #2 by hornbyp
I don't think any Draytek Vigors can do 'automatic caching' ...

You might be able to store your file on the USB and access it manually via FTP or SMB/File&Print Sharing - but that's not much different to keeping a copy at the download location.

The 2800 is pretty long in the tooth, so I can't even find a manual for it any more :cry:

• pinpinpoola
  • Topic Author
More
08 Apr 2021 20:42 #3 by pinpinpoola
Thanks @hornbyp,

I needs it to be a transparent cache to be of any use; the download needs to look like it is coming from the actual online repository (i.e GitHub, etc.).

"The 2800 is pretty long in the tooth" - I only got the 2862 a few months ago :-(

Pin.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
08 Apr 2021 23:54 #4 by hornbyp

pinpinpoola wrote:
"The 2800 is pretty long in the tooth" - I only got the 2862 a few months ago :-(

You didn't say which model in the 2800 series; the Vigor 2800 was an actual Router ... released about 2005 :?

The 2862 is so current, that Draytek are still writing the firmware for it :wink: