DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 166 (160 series) ntp in bridge mode

• peterbr
  • Topic Author
More
17 Apr 2021 19:13 #1 by peterbr
Hello
Im using my 166 in bridge mode and don't see a time option in the maintenance menu to be able to setup ntp.
The time on the 166 is way off, it does not seem to be able to pick up the time anywhere.
Ive linked both LAN ports to my linksys router, one acting as WAN and one to get access to the 166 via the local LAN network.

Any ideas?

Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
18 Apr 2021 03:32 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 166 (160 series) ntp in bridge mode
To access an NTP server, the Vigor 166 is going to have to go via your Router - since it doesn't have a public IP address of its own.

The first step in that journey would be getting an outbound connection to it, from the LAN. There are many and various ways of achieving this - from 'it just works (ASUS)', to Draytek's VLAN tagging approach and various other odd-ball schemes (manually added, additional, 192.168.2.x address on the WAN port of the Router) ... etc etc.

If/when you achieve outbound connectivity, you'd then have to allow inbound NAT-forwarding of the NTP request. (I think the NTP server would have to reside on the LAN, rather than the Internet)

Without IP connectivity to the segment containing the NTP server, it won't work :(

(Aren't Modems a bit like Fridges? - as in, they don't need to know the time :wink: )

Can the UK Vigor 166 operate in Router mode? (As per: https://draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-166-router-mode )

Surely a bottom of the range Draytek is better than any Linksys :?: :wink:

More
18 Apr 2021 10:01 #3 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor 166 (160 series) ntp in bridge mode
My 130 thinks that it is 28 February 2000. It doesn't appear to be bothered by that, and is probably much happier than I am in 2021 :lol:

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
18 Apr 2021 10:22 #4 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Vigor 166 (160 series) ntp in bridge mode

Piste Basher wrote:
My 130 thinks that it is 28 February 2000. It doesn't appear to be bothered by that, and is probably much happier than I am in 2021 :lol:

:lol: :lol:

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
18 Apr 2021 10:24 #5 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Vigor 166 (160 series) ntp in bridge mode

peterbr wrote:
Hello
Im using my 166 in bridge mode and don't see a time option in the maintenance menu to be able to setup ntp.
The time on the 166 is way off, it does not seem to be able to pick up the time anywhere.
Ive linked both LAN ports to my linksys router, one acting as WAN and one to get access to the 166 via the local LAN network.

Any ideas?

Peter

In modem mode there won't be any NTP or time to set.