Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

HIGH Availablity on the 3910

• debz9676
  • Topic Author
More
19 Apr 2021 17:42 #1 by debz9676
HIGH Availablity on the 3910 was created by debz9676
Afternoon
Just wondering if anyone has been succesfull in setting up HA on the 3910's as yet. When ever we try to connect them in that mode we get high ping and terrible perfromance if we run the 3910 as a single Firewall and disconnect the other one (so not in HA mode) performance goes back to normal. Any ideas I'm thinking it may still be down to Firmware as I know the 3910's have been having issues with the FW.

Thanks in Advance
Debs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tom-burnett
  • User
  • User
More
05 May 2021 13:53 #2 by tom-burnett
Replied by tom-burnett on topic Re: HIGH Availablity on the 3910
i get the same with 2 3910 in HA mode. Seg are looking at this for weeks. we are running the latest FW.

• service_bb
  • User
  • User
More
08 Jul 2021 20:36 #3 by service_bb
Replied by service_bb on topic Re: HIGH Availablity on the 3910
Just wondered how people are finding this with the latest firmware in HA - Hot Standby mode?

I installed 3910's in HA at 3 different locations and it hasn't really been successful in any of them.

Location 1 has been fine on a 3.9.2.3 beta WITHOUT HA for 12 months without issue - I upgraded to 3.9.6.2 and re-enabled HA and again immediately started getting reports of intermittent connectivity and our site-to-site VPN was constantly dropping - as soon as I disabled HA everything returned to normal

Location 2 has been in HA on 3.9.2.4 for 12 months and I thought everything was well until I was told that they're encountering constant site-to-site VPN/packetloss that no-one had bothered to report! As a result I'll be updating them to 3.9.6.3 this evening and if the problem persists, disabling HA.

Location 3 had similar problems to the above - packet loss and unstable VPN connections, this location is too critical for me to mess around.

All of the above sites had been using Draytek 2862s (non-HA) or 2960 (with-HA) without any problems at all previously.

This has me incredibly frustrated given the price point for these units.

• qwaz01
  • User
  • User
More
09 Jul 2021 10:36 #4 by qwaz01
Replied by qwaz01 on topic Re: HIGH Availablity on the 3910

service_bb wrote:
Just wondered how people are finding this with the latest firmware in HA - Hot Standby mode?

I installed 3910's in HA at 3 different locations and it hasn't really been successful in any of them.

Location 1 has been fine on a 3.9.2.3 beta WITHOUT HA for 12 months without issue - I upgraded to 3.9.6.2 and re-enabled HA and again immediately started getting reports of intermittent connectivity and our site-to-site VPN was constantly dropping - as soon as I disabled HA everything returned to normal

Location 2 has been in HA on 3.9.2.4 for 12 months and I thought everything was well until I was told that they're encountering constant site-to-site VPN/packetloss that no-one had bothered to report! As a result I'll be updating them to 3.9.6.3 this evening and if the problem persists, disabling HA.

Location 3 had similar problems to the above - packet loss and unstable VPN connections, this location is too critical for me to mess around.

All of the above sites had been using Draytek 2862s (non-HA) or 2960 (with-HA) without any problems at all previously.

This has me incredibly frustrated given the price point for these units.

The 3910 is a great piece of hardware with terrible software - so many bugs and issues. Also, basic features on other models still haven't been released (auto config backup to USB). I have 2 x 3910 and havnt bothered setting up HA as I can imagine it not working well at all, I have a spare in the rack ready to go and every few months update the firmware and load on the latest config backup, that way if we have an outage I can just ask someone to swap over the cables.