Draytek Vigor 2850 & BT Fibre

• steven_london
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 May 2021 21:51 #1 by steven_london
Draytek Vigor 2850 & BT Fibre was created by steven_london
Sorry to raise a new topic on an old subject but having a few problems connecting my parents old Vigor 2850 to BT Fibre. I note BT just call it Fibre now and not Infinity but assumed that the old set-up notes and videos I watched still apply to configuring the router to connect to VSDL. However, it just doesn't work.

The router worked flawlessly for years with ADSL from Plusnet. However, the cost and speed was awful so I convinced them to change to Fibre. They were connected up yesterday and the SmartHub 2 connected within 3 minutes and works perfectly, so I know there is no line problem and the installation is working.

However, the Vigor refuses to connect to the internet. I have researched a few forums, with one suggesting that the 2850 wasn't very good with VSDL and required an Openreach modem to connect (BT forum and probably not the best place to get answers) but there are plenty of old Infinity set-up guides which I followed.

Currently, the WAN >> General Settings are:
WAN 1 - Enabled
Name - BT Infinity
VDSL Only
VLAN Tag 101
Priority 0
Always On

WAN >> Internet Access Settings are:
Multi-PVC Channel 1
VPI 0 / VCI 38
Encapsulating Type VC MUX
Protocol PPPoE (but have also tried PPPoA too)
Modulation Multimode
Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com (taken from the Super hub 2)
No password

The Vigor just refuses to connect. Do you know if BT have updated things recently to prevent only equipment from connecting?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2021 08:42 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Draytek Vigor 2850 & BT Fibre
I know nothing about BT kit but if the Smarthub 2 is up and running then presumably it is in "router" mode, with all the ISP details set in it. Would it not need to be in bridge mode to use another router?

On the other hand, if the Smarthub is working doesn't that beg the question as to why you need the 2850?

More
22 May 2021 19:15 #3 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: Draytek Vigor 2850 & BT Fibre
What do you mean by 'refuses to connect'? You need to be specific with what messages you're getting.

Did you follow this guide: https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-v2850-setup

• agentx
  • User
  • User
More
27 May 2021 10:22 #4 by agentx
Replied by agentx on topic Re: Draytek Vigor 2850 & BT Fibre
Overall you cannot put BT hubs in any sort of modem mode.

Also not sure you are even allowed to connect a 2850 to BT network.
https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/our-technology/bt-sin-498

I suppose the proper way would be either get a BT openreach modem from Ebay or use. a DT Vigor 130 modem and WAN 2 port.
Or a new compliant router