Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

286x - Deliver Ethernet WAN via dot1Q Trunk

• j1mbo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Jul 2021 10:38 #1 by j1mbo
I would like to deliver an Ethernet WAN to a 2862/2865 via an existing VLAN trunk port. WAN2 looks to be hard-coded to the labelled WAN2 port.

Can we physically cable P4 to WAN2 and use a VLAN config like so to achieve the same?

• Bring the FTTP WAN to the router using (say) VLAN5 tagged on existing trunk on P1.

• For LAN5 and LAN6 - Disable DHCP; Define no InterLAN routing from LAN5/LAN6 anywhere else

• In VLANs - VLAN5: Mapped to LAN5, members P1 tagged

• In VLANs - VLAN6: Mapped to LAN5 as well, members P4 untagged

• Physically cable P4 to WAN2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• j1mbo
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
08 Aug 2021 09:17 #2 by j1mbo
I finally got round to testing this. The point is use a 'router on a stick' configuration, so the 286x can be cited at the BT master socket for VDSL, whilst a separate layer-2 switch physically connects to FTTP connection elsewhere, which would be of use where FTTC is retained to provide a backup to FTTP.

FTTP <-> Switch <-> Draytek <-> FTTC
and
General devices, WiFi APs etc <-> Switch

• On the Draytek, Physically cable WAN2 to a LAN port.

• Under LAN, VLAN, configure an unused VLAN (e.g. 5) to be tagged on all LAN ports, assigned to an unused subnet (e.g. LAN5), VLAN enabled, and tagged (e.g. 5). This is the layer-2 switch configuration.

• Under LAN, General, disabled that subnet (e.g. LAN5). This unbinds the routers IP stack from the VLAN.

• In WAN, General, WAN2 - under VLAN Tag Insertion, set Customer to Enabled with the configured tag value (e.g. 5)

• In WAN, Internet Access, WAN2, enable as required for ISP and set MTU to 1500

• On the layer-2 switch: add the VLAN as tagged to the port connected to the Draytek (e.g. adding VLAN 5 tagged in my example)

• On the layer-2 switch: configure a VLAN access port to connect to the FTTP ONT (VLAN 5 in my example)

• Connect supplier ONT to configure port

2862 achieves about 330Mbps in the configuration which is enough for me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.