Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2962 WAN Connection

• leewol
  • Topic Author
More
10 Jul 2021 16:14 #1 by leewol
Draytek 2962 WAN Connection was created by leewol
Hi all,

This is my very first port & I’m quite new to networking so apologies in advance for what might seem like a stupid question.

First of all let me explain the scenario.

Virgin Media SuperHub 4.0 - IP Address 192.168.100.1
Draytek 2962 - IP Address 192.168.0.1:8080

I use Virgin Media as my ISP and have been using the Virgin SuperHub 3.0 in modem mode connected to a Draytek 2862 router for many months without any issues using the same IP addresses as per above.

Recently, I upgraded to the VM 1GB broadband & so VM sent me the new SuperHub 4 of which I have connected currently to the existing 2862 without any issues.

So because of the speed upgrade & went out and got the 2962 because of the 1 / 2.5 GB pass through but when I connect the Virgin Hub to the P1 or P2 WAN port (tried them both) the router isn’t getting a WAN connection even though the green lights on the front are on.

I have ‘IP Network Settings’ set to ‘Obtain IP address automatically’ just like on the 2862.

I suspect it may be because the VM Superhub & Draytek are on different subnets & if so I would like to change the IP address of the hub which would be easier rather than change all my internal hosts but I believe this cannot be done.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
Lee.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
11 Jul 2021 03:04 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Draytek 2962 WAN Connection

LeeWol wrote:
I suspect it may be because the VM Superhub & Draytek are on different subnets & if so I would like to change the IP address of the hub which would be easier rather than change all my internal hosts but I believe this cannot be done.

No, you can't change the address of the modem; it's fixed at 192.168.100.1 as part of the DOCSIS standard (::sigh::) - however, it's only for management, so it's not your issue anyway.

I remember getting various routers and VM hubs into this state - and usually cleared it by cloning the MAC address of the working Router's WAN port into the non-working one. (I don't know what it was that sometimes upset VM's network). You should see the Router get a 192.168.100.x address with a very short lease-time, followed by your real IP.

(Nothing to do with this, but be aware there is a Security Advisory for the 2962, which requires an urgent upgrade to V3.9.6.3 or later)

• leewol
  • Topic Author
More
11 Jul 2021 15:24 #3 by leewol
Replied by leewol on topic Re: Draytek 2962 WAN Connection
Many thanks for the response.

I tried to clone the MAC address of the working router & upgraded the firmware but that didn’t work.

However, when I manually enter the IP address of the WAN connection to 192.168.1.2 as the VM Hub 4 is on 192.168.1.100 with a gateway IP of 192.168.0.1 I then got a connection but the hosts on my network couldn’t get access to the internet I assume because they are on a 192.168.0.xx network?

I really don’t want to have to change my network range for all my hosts.

Many thanks.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
11 Jul 2021 16:59 #4 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Draytek 2962 WAN Connection

LeeWol wrote:
However, when I manually enter the IP address of the WAN connection to 192.168.1.2 as the VM Hub 4 is on 192.168.1.100 with a gateway IP of 192.168.0.1 I then got a connection

Those IP addresses don't seem to make any sense...are they typos?

What does "I then got a connection" mean? A connection to the Hub 4 itself, isn't really part of the issue...

The IP connection between Router and Modem is purely for management of the Modem - it's not involved in the connection of LAN hosts to the Internet. (The Router WAN needs a public IP address on Virgin Media's Network. It sends all data destined for the Internet to a Gateway address, also on Virgin Media's network. (If the Hub 4 works the same as previous VM Hubs, it intercepts any data destined for 192.168.100.1 and responds. There is no real 192.168.100.1 out there on the Internet, so there is no conflict)).

One thing you could do to verify the operation of the Hub 4 and VM's DHCP server, is to connect a PC to the HUB 4 (with the HUB 4 still in modem-mode). You can override the PC's MAC address to match the 2862 or 2962 and watch what happens when you issue Ipconfig release + renew commands. (Remember to enable PC firewall!). As I alluded to earlier, I have been in this situation myself ... it's almost as though VM's DHCP server doesn't like changing MAC addresses part way through a DHCP lease.

ISTR that multiple (time-consuming!) reboots of the VM Hub were required to get things 'into line'.

• leewol
  • Topic Author
More
13 Jul 2021 07:59 #5 by leewol
Replied by leewol on topic Re: Draytek 2962 WAN Connection
I’ve managed to get it sorted and it was probably a schoolboy error on my side.

All I simply did was take the hub4 completely off the network along with my laptop, connect into the hub4 via Ethernet cable to access the interface and changed it into modem mode then powered down the hub.

I then connected up the hub to the outside world, plugged it into the WAN1 port & then booted up the hub of which the router then received a valid IP address & voila its online.

I probably made this more complicated than it should have been so apologies but I really appreciate your feedback & help.

Many thanks.
Lee.