• Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
13 Aug 2021 17:07 #1 by doctordray
Draytek cannot resolve local hostnames was created by doctordray
Router: Vigor2926ac
Firmware: 3.9.6

Looking to decommission the Windows server at a small office that previously had a local DC/file server which was also doing DNS. We need a working DNS server as printers are added to machines using hostnames. Adding printers via hostname rather than IP helps a lot with flexibility since these days people sometimes take printers and laptops home with them.

Unfortunately the Draytek doesn't seem to be able to resolve local hostnames on the LAN unless they're explicitly added to the config, which is not ideal really.

I'd also like it to be able to resolve hostnames for machines where it issued the IP via DHCP, that doesn't seem to work either.

Am I missing a trick or is that just how it is?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• proactive services
  • User
  • User
More
16 Aug 2021 19:01 #2 by proactive services
Replied by proactive services on topic Re: Draytek cannot resolve local hostnames
I'm seeing similar problems here on a 2762ac, firmware 3.9.6_BT.
    Set `sys domainname wan1 home.arpa`, same for wan2, used `sys commit`
    Released and refreshed client
    Confirmed domain name is being sent in the DHCP offer
    Confirmed client set the domain name in its DHCP lease
    Performed `nslookup devicename.home.arpa`.
    Received `** server can't find devicename.home.arpa: NXDOMAIN`

Packet trace shows that the request went to the router and came back with a response from prisoner.iana.org, so it seems that the router sent the request out to the WAN and the ISP's DNS server, rather than processing and replying locally. Confirmed that `sys domainname ?` shows home.arpa for both WANs. Also cannot lookup routername.home.arpa.

• doctordray
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
31 Aug 2021 12:52 #3 by doctordray
Replied by doctordray on topic Re: Draytek cannot resolve local hostnames
Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay in getting back to you (the forum notifications go to Junk Mail).

Looks like it just doesn't work then - not sure what the answer is - something else on site doing DNS, I guess.

Bit disappointing a £200 router can't do this.