• icarusbop
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Aug 2021 11:00 #1 by icarusbop
Vigor2860 router - Block Alexa was created by icarusbop
Hello

Can anyone help me with trying to block Alexa please?

I have added a rule that block the listed outgoing ports (Output TCP: 40317, 67, 68, Output UDP: 53, 123, 40317, 49317, 33434, 1900, 5000, 5353)
I couldn't block TCP ports 80, 8080, 443 because they are needed for standard internet.

But the thing is still working.

[I didn't buy an Alexa then want to block it. It came with a smart TV. I Had to buy a smart TV because a Dumb TV is no longer an option, and it seems all smart TV's now seem to have an Alexa (or other house spy) installed as standard)

Thanks

IcarusBop

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2021 17:52 #2 by pharcyder
Replied by pharcyder on topic Re: Vigor2860 router - Block Alexa
Not sure where you got all those ports from but Alexa devices talk to these domains:

vsp-alexa-eu.amazon.com
vsp-alexa-na.amazon.com

Personally I use PiHole to block stuff like this.

More
17 Aug 2021 19:20 #3 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: Vigor2860 router - Block Alexa
Can't believe that TVs come with Alexa as standard now. O tempora, o mores!

Is not possible to switch Alexa off in the TV's settings? I thought there would be such an option.

More
18 Aug 2021 12:38 #4 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor2860 router - Block Alexa
My Sony A1 is a few years old now - it can be controlled by Alexa devices if I download the app and set it to be so controlled, but does not have it built in. I think it can also be controlled by voice from its own remote, which would seem to make Alexa redundant, but I've not got round to trying that...

More
18 Aug 2021 12:42 #5 by pharcyder
Replied by pharcyder on topic Re: Vigor2860 router - Block Alexa
I bought a new Samsung QLED TV last month. It had Samsung's Bixby, Alexa and Google assistant all baked in and addressable by voice from the TV remote. All kinds of nope.

I use a very specific PiHole Blocklist to stop all this calling home. A more elegant way to block these services than Firewalling off a bunch of outbound ports in my opinion.