DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2927 - Orange Lan Port On Dashboard

• tazladd
  • Topic Author
More
23 Aug 2021 19:52 #1 by tazladd
Hey guys,

Hope everyone is doing well, been a while since I've been on the forum. Sadly coming into trouble recently at one side of the house with my current setup.

This is an ethernet issue so I assume this is only going to be involving problems with my cables, router and switches.

Setup:
BT FTTP 900mbps
Vigor 2927ac (Firmware 4.2.4.2 Latest)
Netgear GS110TPV3 (In loft, used a switch to power all ethernet ports on this side of the house)
Cat6 from FTTP box to WAN1
Cat5e cables in LAN1, LAN2 and LAN3 to cat5e ports which then go up to loft then more cat5e cables to go into the switch and power ethernet ports in the rooms below on the right hand side of the house. Same setup on the left handside, and a dedicated cat5e port using no switch in the middle of house.

My side of the house is LAN1, this is the only one that seems affected by the current issue (no other LAN from my awareness has changed colour from green to orange on the draytek dashboard). Long story short it seems like a dip is caused on the LAN1 (will achieve 100mbps when I should be getting 900mbps), this was discovered like a month back buy I just came to the conclusion that the netgear switch we currently had in the loft on this side of the house needed upgrading (it was 6-8 years old) so I did that to the current one, it worked well for like 2 weeks and now the issue is returning. I have temporary fixes for the issue like restarting the switch from the control panel seemed to work for like 2 hours lol then another temp fix I found was to take out the cat5e cable from LAN1 and put it back in a few mins after and that will last like a day, so the problem is now reoccuring enough for me to start getting annoyed :( .

I thought about another solution which I am going to go ahead and try. I am gonna buy a reel of Cat6 cable and make some new cables from each lan port in the router to the cat5e ports in my mainframe room if you want to call it that? Maybe this will fix the issue? I don't really know, I thought I would come here to try and seek some advice.

Has anyone here experienced such issues?

Extra information:
My side of the house probably uses the most internet (through my PC) maybe this triggers it and its throttling?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2021 20:26 #2 by txrx
From my experience it does sound like a faulty cable or port. Try making sure all cables are firmly sitting where they should be and haven’t been pulled.
As you’ve already mentioned changing the cat5e there’s little else to try at this point but do keep us informed if it does fix the issue!

• tazladd
  • Topic Author
More
23 Aug 2021 20:44 #3 by tazladd
Replied by tazladd on topic Re: Vigor 2927 - Orange Lan Port On Dashboard

TxRx wrote:
From my experience it does sound like a faulty cable or port. Try making sure all cables are firmly sitting where they should be and haven’t been pulled.
As you’ve already mentioned changing the cat5e there’s little else to try at this point but do keep us informed if it does fix the issue!

I scanned the forum after making the post too and apparently changing WAN settings from auto negotiation to 1000M Full Duplex is also another type of solution, I have now changed it to that. We shall see if the issue arises and see if its fixed but right now I moved a cat6 cable I had from a recent device purchase to the lan1 port to see if it does goes orange at any point within the next day... Reel still ordered so that will be getting done anyway probably

More
23 Aug 2021 21:53 #4 by andyburns
Replied by andyburns on topic Re: Vigor 2927 - Orange Lan Port On Dashboard
Setting 1Gb/Full Duplex sounds good, though it shouldn't be necessary.

Also Cat5e is good enough for 1Gb you shouldn't need Cat6 until you get into 10Gb, a faulty patch cable OTOH (rodents damage?) could cause link to drop to 100Mb, does the switch agree that the port is running at 100Mb when the link light on the router is orange instead of green?

• tazladd
  • Topic Author
More
23 Aug 2021 23:33 #5 by tazladd
Replied by tazladd on topic Re: Vigor 2927 - Orange Lan Port On Dashboard

andyburns wrote:
Setting 1Gb/Full Duplex sounds good, though it shouldn't be necessary.

Also Cat5e is good enough for 1Gb you shouldn't need Cat6 until you get into 10Gb, a faulty patch cable OTOH (rodents damage?) could cause link to drop to 100Mb, does the switch agree that the port is running at 100Mb when the link light on the router is orange instead of green?

When I look at the dashboard for the switch when this goes orange on draytek I see a different in colour on the small left handside dot of the lan port (not green, but yellow) but the main part of the port is green. I've not studied what this means but it surely means a fault if colour is changing away from green.

When I say dot you know the two dots left and right above the port that can flash etc... (dont know the name of them)