DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2927ac Loss of WAN3 and WAN4

More
24 Aug 2021 14:38 #1 by ianq
2927ac Loss of WAN3 and WAN4 was created by ianq
I have a brand new 2927ac router. It came with firmware v4.2.2 and I updated it to the latest version 4.2.4.2 before I started to configure it. I had been using a 2862ac router. The 2927ac wouldn't load the full config backup from the 2862 but it would load the individual backups of wifi, VPN etc so I restored all of them that I could. I then set all the other settings manually. After rebooting the router everything worked. It connected to the fibre broadband at a higher speed than the 2862ac, the wifi and VPN's etc all worked with the restored settings.

I then tried to configure WAN4 to connect to my mobile phones hotspot, so it was ready for use as a backup connection if I ever needed it. I followed the instructions on the Draytek guide https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-wan-wireless. After enabling WAN4 and rebooting the router both WAN3 and WAN4 were no longer visible in the Status page, the WAN / General Setup menu or any other page that shows the list of WAN's.

I restored the config backup I had taken before I started to add WAN4 and WAN3 and WAN4 reappeared.

I tried to do it again but his time using WAN3 and exactly the same thing happened.

After restoring the config backup again I disabled both wifi's then tried configuring WAN3 again. This time after enabling WAN3 it asked to do a reboot and WAN3 and WAN4 were still visible. I then went to the WAN / Internet Access menu to finish configuring WAN3 but the AP Discovery button was greyed out as the wifi was disabled. I enabled the 2.4G wifi and used the AP Discovery button to find the phones hotspot and added it. After rebooting the router WAN3 and WAN4 had again disappeared but the phone said the 2927 was connected to it's hotspot! I restored the config backup again and they reappeared.

I then flashed the v4.2.4.1 firmware and tried it all again and the same happened with that.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug in both firmware versions?

I have found a minor bug in both firmwares. If you disable the panel LEDs they all go out as expected but if you do a reboot or if you re-enable the panel LEDs all the LEDs come back on except for WAN1's LEDs which stay off. They will only come back on after you have re-enabled the panel LEDs and rebooted the router.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2021 14:49 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 2927ac Loss of WAN3 and WAN4
That "disappearing WAN" behaviour foxed me when I bought my 2927ac.

It's been there with all firmware versions so far.

Have faith in the force Luke - they will re-appear when you need them.

More
24 Aug 2021 18:18 #3 by ianq
Replied by ianq on topic Re: 2927ac Loss of WAN3 and WAN4
So I'm not doing anything wrong then. I did a search on the forum before I posted and couldn't find any other posts about it.

You say "they will re-appear when you need them". They haven't yet even after repeated reboots.

So they re-appeared for you?
Did they remain or disappear again and then re-appear at random?
Did you work out how to make them re-appear?

As they aren't visible it's impossible to finish setting them up and use them in things like the Routing / Load Balance settings.

More
24 Aug 2021 18:33 #4 by piste basher
It's been a while since I set it up and I can't recall what, if anything, I did before they re-appeared I'm afraid.

As far as I remember I was just going through all the WAN settings - I have WAN 1 set up as ethernet to my 130 (although I'm using the "Virtual WAN" workaround to enable me to directly access the 130 on the odd occasion that I need to), and use WAN3 or WAN4 as wireless connections to a hotspot on 2.4 and 5GHz respectively. Have you ensured that WAN 2 is not enabled?

More
24 Aug 2021 20:11 #5 by ianq
Replied by ianq on topic Re: 2927ac Loss of WAN3 and WAN4
I've had another play and you are correct. They do re-appear, and disappear again! I think the reason they didn't re-appear when I tried it before was that I was rebooting the router hoping to get them to re-appear. I've now found out that if you jump between the menu options or reload the web page a few times that usually makes them re-appear.

I've tested WAN3 on the 2.4G band with the hotspot on my Samsung S9 running Android 10 and that works correctly in Failover mode. But I cannot get WAN4 on the 5G band to work. The phones hotspot AP doesn't show up when scanning for it and if I enter the AP settings manually the router doesn't connect and scanning still shows nothing. Not sure if this is a S9 Android or a Draytek problem. The S9 will connect to the Draytek's 5G wifi correctly when not in the Hotspot mode so the phones 5G wifi is definitely working.

More
25 Aug 2021 08:26 #6 by piste basher
Can't help you with that one I'm afraid as I use an iPhone which doesn't give me the choice of which band to set the hotspot on. 2.4 it is.