• tivoli
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Sep 2021 11:07 #1 by tivoli
Hello
I've upgraded from a 2860 to a 2866.
I'm unable to change the Primary and Secondary DNS servers within the "MPoA/Static or Dynamic IP" tab.
When I attempt to change the DNS servers and click OK the error message is as follows:
"IP address and Gateway IP address cannot be the same."

My ISP is Plusnet but I don't want to use their DNS servers.
I have a dynamic IP from Plusnet. If I select 'Obtain an IP address automatically' the DNS servers get greyed out, so I can't change them.
This wasn't an issue on the 2860.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2021 14:10 #2 by piste basher
Any particular reason you're not using PPPoE ?

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/?_ga=2.238609220.534086080.1631884090-1816761939.1631884090

• tivoli
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
17 Sep 2021 15:27 #3 by tivoli
I am using PPPoE but the DNS settings are on the 'MPoA/Static or Dynamic IP' tab on the 2866 (unlike the 2860.)

• j1mbo
  • User
  • User
More
17 Sep 2021 20:57 #4 by j1mbo
You can change the DNS servers on the LAN interface details, 'DNS Server IP Address' (these are the DNS server addresses issued by the router via DHCP to clients). So your clients will be reaching out to the configured servers directly.

Note that the DNS traffic is still snooped by the router and configured static names will still work. The WAN interface DNS server will be configured via DHCP and used by the router itself.

• tivoli
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Sep 2021 10:38 #5 by tivoli

J1mbo wrote:
You can change the DNS servers on the LAN interface details, 'DNS Server IP Address' (these are the DNS server addresses issued by the router via DHCP to clients). So your clients will be reaching out to the configured servers directly.

Note that the DNS traffic is still snooped by the router and configured static names will still work. The WAN interface DNS server will be configured via DHCP and used by the router itself.

Thanks! That fixed it.