Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2862 and starlink

• neilburton
  • User
  • User
More
09 Oct 2021 10:46 #13 by neilburton
Replied by neilburton on topic Re: 2862 and starlink
I'm having issues with my 3910 and Starlink.

1) When the router is assigned a CGNAT address (10.x) and passing traffic I can't get to the dish's status page (192.168.100.1). A lot of people posting online stating the need for a static host route to this address, yet the Draytek already has this entry in its routing table and I understand this is provided by DHCP option 121. Despite the existence of this route I can't reach the dish. If I set the WAN interface IP static to something in 192.168.100.0/24 I can reach it but then obviously can't access the internet.

2) The DHCP and failure/failback handling is poor. When Starlink goes down (which it does briefly on average every 24 hours) my ping detect causes the interface to show as disconnected but it never recovers, even if I manually force a DHCP release/renew, I can only recover the service by rebooting the router. I'm therefore rebooting the router manually every day when I notice Starlink has tripped up.

I'm not sure whether any of this can be remediated by Draytek themselves in firmware or by Starlink changing the way they work, but it would be nice if the two systems could operate together.

I have 2 x LTE connections and a fixed wireless on other ports and these fail/recover perfectly well with ping based monitors.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
09 Oct 2021 12:51 #14 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: 2862 and starlink

neilburton wrote:
1) When the router is assigned a CGNAT address (10.x) and passing traffic I can't get to the dish's status page (192.168.100.1). A lot of people posting online stating the need for a static host route to this address, yet the Draytek already has this entry in its routing table and I understand this is provided by DHCP option 121. Despite the existence of this route I can't reach the dish. If I set the WAN interface IP static to something in 192.168.100.0/24 I can reach it but then obviously can't access the internet.

You could try adding a 192.168.100.x address to the 3910's WAN port as a "WAN IP Alias", specifying "Do not add to NAT pool". I'm not familiar with the 3910's interface and its online demo returned lots of "404" errors when I tried it. :(

You might consider adding an entry to "Load Balance/Route Policy" for this network, to make this the gateway for the 192.168.100.0/24 network - to override the existing, dhcp-derived route.

• jadzy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Oct 2021 18:52 #15 by jadzy
Replied by jadzy on topic Re: 2862 and starlink
I've not yet figured out how to stop my stuck dhcp issue... thus far i've tried

standard settings. which is where i started. the 5 second lease never counts down. draytek support decided its a starlink issue, not theirs?!
firewall blocking dhcp offers from 192.168.100.1. let me set the rule, but its not applied properly.
setting a wan IP alias with the same 192.168.100.100 so the address is already in use. its accepted via dhcp anyway.
ping connection detection monitoring. it just left the wan2 port disabled forever.

what currently works is the 'ip dhcpc release 2' manual command when needed. which is rubbish!

WRT dishy stats page. there is a known bug that starlink broke it in a firmware upgrade. loads of people have spent ages trying to troubleshoot their setups only to find its not them at all. I think a new firmware has now been published that fixes it.

• neilburton
  • User
  • User
More
26 Oct 2021 15:56 #16 by neilburton
Replied by neilburton on topic Re: 2862 and starlink

hornbyp wrote:

neilburton wrote:

You could try adding a 192.168.100.x address to the 3910's WAN port as a "WAN IP Alias", specifying "Do not add to NAT pool". I'm not familiar with the 3910's interface and its online demo returned lots of "404" errors when I tried it. :(

You might consider adding an entry to "Load Balance/Route Policy" for this network, to make this the gateway for the 192.168.100.0/24 network - to override the existing, dhcp-derived route.

I can't get it to work in any circumstances. I'd already tried the WAN IP Alias.

You can see the DHCP derived route in the routing table - C 192.168.100.1/ 255.255.255.255 directly connected WAN5

The only time I can ever reach the Dish's IP address is if the 3910 WAN IP is set to 192.168.100.x either manually or by DHCP (when the service is offline) with the connection detection set to 'Always on'

Whenever the service is online and I get a 10.x.x.x CGNAT IP I can access the internet but can't see the dish IP. Often if the service goes down its unrecoverable until I reboot the 3910.

I just installed the latest firmware which came out today 3.9.7.1 and it doesn't seem to address any of these issues.

• jadzy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
14 Mar 2022 22:13 #17 by jadzy
thought i'd do a reply to my old post. firmware 3.9.7 seems to have made starlink work just fine now. dhcp no longer getting stuck. i can browse the starlink dishy stats page as and when needed.

• jadzy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Mar 2022 10:15 #18 by jadzy
changed my mind. does still get stuck, just less often.