DrayTek 2860ac + Huawei B818-263 - LAN port

• psychospiller
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Sep 2021 22:21 #1 by psychospiller
DrayTek 2860ac + Huawei B818-263 - LAN port was created by psychospiller
I have a Huawei B818-263 4G router on EE connected to my Vigor 2860 on WAN2 and all working correctly for internet access.

My question is related to the LAN port on the Huawei router and if I can access devices on this LAN from clients on the 2860 and vice versa?

The Vigor LAN (my main network) is 192.168.1.xxx, WAN2 on the Vigor has a fixed IP of 192.168.8.98
The Huawei router IP is 192.168.8.1, I can access the Huawei router's web interface from my Vigor LAN devices by using this IP.
Is it possible to access the other devices connected to the LAN port of the Huawei router, say for example a printer with IP 192.168.8.100, network? and ideally vice versa, for example a wi-fi client of the Huawei router could access devices on the 192.168.1.xxx LAN?

The Huawei router is located in one building (garage) and the vigor in another (house). I have one Network cable running from my house to the garage as there is an external antenna on the garage. I have a few other devices on a switch connected to the LAN port of the Huawei. I could resolve it by having a second cable running from the house to the garage and have more devices on the 192.168.1.xxx network but getting a cable in would be tricky, currently I use a powerlink adaptor to achieve this but is it possible to use the same cable I use for the WAN2 connection ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
30 Sep 2021 01:07 #2 by hornbyp
The issue, as I see it, is that the Vigor will NAT all traffic from 192.168.8.0 , rather than Routing it. In other words, it will treat everything on that network, as though it is the big, bad, Internet.
Anything outbound from the Vigor's WAN port will appear to come from 192.168.8.98 and replies to that traffic will be matched to entries in the NAT table and routed to the client on 192.168.1.0 that initiated it.

In this scenario, something like a Printer, will probably work - though its status reporting and scanner functions may not (because it will be unsolicited traffic). However, a general wi-fi client of the Huawei will not (because it's all unsolicited traffic). Rather, it would have to address 192.168.8.98 rather than the desired 192.168.1.x address and the Vigor would have to be configured to pass traffic of that type, to a particular device. This configuration would have to take the form of Port Redirection, Open Ports or the DMZ host.

(You could try adding a Route on the wi-fi client [192.168.1.0/24 => 192.168.8.98/32] ... but I don't think the Vigor will honour it. But you never know your luck!)

Alternatives:

You could VPN from a 192.168.8.0 client to the Vigor, thus obtaining a 2nd, 192.168.1.x address and effectively ending up on the 'main' LAN. Not everything works over a VPN though...

or

You could plug the 192.168.8.0 network into a Vigor LAN port and use the VLAN functionality to Route between the two. The Vigor would need a static, default route - to mimic the one that currently set for the WAN port. The Huawei will probably also need a Route establishing to the 192.168.1.0 network, since it will be the Default Gateway for everything on its LAN.

or

You could use some RJ45 'doublers' to have two connections down one UTP cable (limited to max 100Mbs, because 1Gbps requires use of all four pairs).

• psychospiller
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Oct 2021 06:12 #3 by psychospiller
Replied by psychospiller on topic Re: DrayTek 2860ac + Huawei B818-263 - LAN port
Great thanks for the detailed reply, that gives me some options and things to try.