DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Problem with IPv6 and Zen FTTC - 2927ac?

• piste basher
  • Topic Author
More
02 Nov 2021 08:48 #1 by piste basher
Problem with IPv6 and Zen FTTC - 2927ac? was created by piste basher
I connect to Zen FTTC (Openreach line I guess) with a Vigor 130 and 2927ac. This set up has essentially been rock-solid for many months, until yesterday morning when the router started re-booting itself every 10 - 15 seconds :shock:

I eventually discovered that I could stop this behaviour by turning off IPv6 on the router - even though it has always been on in the past with no issues.

Anyone else seeing something like this? Any thoughts as to what the problem is? (I haven't spoken to Zen yet)

(May or may not be relevant but we had a very short power "glitch" on Sunday evening - UPS cut in immediately and all seemed fine. The router misbehaviour didn't start until Monday morning)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
03 Nov 2021 02:11 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Problem with IPv6 and Zen FTTC - 2927ac?
Ah, so it's you that uses IPv6 :lol:

I turned it on when I first became a Zen customer - then decided I really didn't understand it ... and turned it off again. (I was worried I'd given access to every device on my network, to that other person who had IPv6 enabled :wink: )

That was, er, five years ago!?!

Are you sure you need it :?:

• piste basher
  • Topic Author
More
03 Nov 2021 08:27 #3 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Problem with IPv6 and Zen FTTC - 2927ac?
Can't say that I "need" it but it's been working fine for a long while and has now (apparently) started behaving badly.

I've spoken to Zen and they say nothing has changed at their end. If this is so then my concern is that this could be a harbinger of further router demise....

I'll press another router into service and see what happens.

Like you, I can't actually get my head round IPv6 and can't seem to find any straightforward guide as to how to configure the router settings, for example. Why can't (e.g. Draytek) simply describe the differences between having SLAAC and no SLAAC, "other option type o", dhcp server on or off etc etc?

As far as security is concerned, having the default Block routing connections initiated from the WAN ticked on seems to stop any naughtiness (I hope).

• piste basher
  • Topic Author
More
03 Nov 2021 13:08 #4 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Problem with IPv6 and Zen FTTC - 2927ac?
OK- I plugged in a 2927ax in place of the 2927ac......

With IPv6 enabled on the ax all appears to be fine - router connecting and no constant re-boots :)

BUT what is this? Where has my Mesh network gone???

What the actual F - spec for the 2927ax says "mesh support planned for future firmware release :roll:

Only Draytek can drive you insane by messing with the areas other routers do not reach :twisted:

OK I accept that it was my fault for not reading the small print, but was it totally unreasonable to think that the 2927ax would be a 2927ac but with wifi 6 instead of wifi 5?

Now that I remember though, it was several firmware iterations before the mesh capabilities of the 2927ac became fully functional, so I guess I should have expected Draytek to once again release a product before it was fully developed....