DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2927 whois issue

• commonorbit
  • Topic Author
More
28 Nov 2021 19:08 #1 by commonorbit
2927 whois issue was created by commonorbit
Hello all, I'm new to the DrayTek ecosystem and I've got a bit of a weird one -- I seem to have somehow misconfigured something in such a way that I can no longer run whois queries. :? Does anyone know if there's something specific that I could have accidentally messed up that would cause this? (If I connect to a non-DrayTek router or hotspot the query works fine, and this is across multiple devices.)

Code:
> whois google.com whois: whois.iana.org: nodename nor servname provided, or not known: Invalid argument

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
29 Nov 2021 00:09 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: 2927 whois issue
I don't have a 2927...
but...

'Whois' seems to be a very simple protocol: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WHOIS

According to that article, it's such a simple protocol that "WHOIS lookups were traditionally performed with a command line interface application, but now many alternative web-based tools exist."

So if I try (on windows) via a Vigor 2860 :-

telnet UK.whois-servers.net 43
and then enter a domain-name that it knows about (e.g. "draytek.co.uk") -blindly, there's no echo- , it returns the 'whois' data when I press return.

(If I try telnet COM.whois-servers.net 43, it times out before I can enter google.com, so that server is clearly no longer expecting interactive input!)

Normal sort of debugging techniques then ...

Can you access anything via this 2927 ?
Can you access other WHOIS servers ?
Any firewall rules?
Local definitions that override the DNS name of the WHOIS server?
Load Balancing rules?
Double-natting?

Usual sort of stuff :wink:

• mbames
  • User
  • User
More
11 Dec 2021 17:50 #3 by mbames
Replied by mbames on topic Re: 2927 whois issue
Using the MS version of whois on my 2925 I have no issues...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/whois

Code:
C:\Users\matth\OneDrive\Utilities\whois>whois -v draytek.co.uk Whois v1.21 - Domain information lookup Copyright (C) 2005-2019 Mark Russinovich Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com Connecting to UK.whois-servers.net... Server UK.whois-servers.net returned the following for DRAYTEK.CO.UK Domain name: draytek.co.uk Data validation: Nominet was able to match the registrant's name and address against a 3rd party data source on 02-Aug-2018 Registrar: Ionos SE [Tag = 1AND1] URL: https://ionos.com Relevant dates: Registered on: 02-Feb-1999 Expiry date: 02-Feb-2023 Last updated: 22-Nov-2021 Registration status: Registered until expiry date. Name servers: ns1113.ui-dns.biz ns1113.ui-dns.com ns1113.ui-dns.de ns1113.ui-dns.org WHOIS lookup made at 17:48:50 11-Dec-2021