DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek Vigor 2830N Prioritise PDQ traffic on QoS

• littleanimal65535
  • Topic Author
More
19 Dec 2021 00:00 #1 by littleanimal65535
Draytek Vigor 2830N Prioritise PDQ traffic on QoS was created by littleanimal65535
Hi all,

Wondering if there exists a proper method to give priority to the card readers in a bar in QoS?

I've set the PDQs to their own hidden SSID (away from CCTV traffic and laptop streaming music) and given that 25 percent of the bandwidth, but the upload speed of their ADSL is always just less than one meg and seems to fluctuate occasionally (but not completely disconnect) resulting in the card transactions getting declined, so would prefer to do it a better way if possible? Dividing out the bandwidth seems a bit 'hacky' to me so would prefer some method of identifying the PDQ traffic but I don't really know much about how they connect.

Thanks in advance,

Si

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
19 Dec 2021 23:34 #2 by hornbyp

littleanimal65535 wrote:
Wondering if there exists a proper method to give priority to the card readers in a bar in QoS?

"Priority" is the job of Q.O.S. There are some links here about Q.O.S: https://draytek.co.uk/our-solutions/videos/draytek-webinars/all-you-need-to-know-about-qos which include the recent Draytek 'webinar' on the subject.

However, "priority" is not the same as making it 'run faster'...

Your other traffic, has a real-time aspect to it - if it doesn't achieve enough throughput, it will not work. Equally, it will not take more bandwidth than exactly that required to do its job. We don't appear to be talking about intermittent or unpredictable traffic here.

"Bandwidth Management" (either at the WAN, or Wifi levels) imposes maximum levels that cannot be exceeded. Q.O.S, by contrast, sets a minimum share of the bandwidth, that the selected traffic will receive (it can receive more, if it is available).

You characterise traffic for Q.O.S. purposes, by adding an object and setting a Port and protocol. Alternatively, you can add a firewall rule and use things like Source and Destination IP address as well.

To solve this problem, I wouldn't do either...

The crux of the issue appears to be an overall lack of 'grunt' - you need a faster connection!

Personally, I don't consider ADSL a broadband product in 2021, though I appreciate that not everyone has a better wired alternative - even in towns. If this is the case, you can investigate 4G and 5G connectivity. Since this is appears to be a business, I'd just consider the extra outlay as "the cost of doing business"...

See also: Your right to request a decent broadband service: What you need to know

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.