DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Any supported 5G USB modems/dongles?

• mc1903
  • Topic Author
More
24 Dec 2021 09:50 #1 by mc1903
Any supported 5G USB modems/dongles? was created by mc1903
Are there any plans to test/add 5G USB modems to the supported list? https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/usb-3g-4g-modem-support-list

I have a Vigor2862 and my BT provided FTTC connection is poor (sub 10 Mbps)

We have just had 5G coverage enabled where I live and the speed is (currently) considerably faster.

As there are plenty of unlimited data SIM options for the same price as BT, I am considering whether I can dump the fixed connection and go 5G only.

Thanks
M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2021 16:51 #2 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: Any supported 5G USB modems/dongles?
Hi

Sub 10Mbps on FTTC is abysmal. Openreach should be held responsible for renting a line for FTTC that is almost like ADSL. Unfortunately, being a monopolist in many areas, they get away with murder and there's no way to hold them accountable unless you're a lawyer yourself and prepared to take them on.

I don't think there's an updated list. However, Draytek do say that other 3/4G routers could work too. If you have a specific in mind, probably best to head to the forum for that particular make to see how successful others have been in employing it as a back-up to their router.

What you could also do is ditch the Draytek and FTTC altogether and just get a 3/4/5G mobile router. I'm unsure how reliable the Internet connection would be in such a case and what would be the monthly cost involved, as I'm still to test my TP-LINK M7450 indoors.

• mc1903
  • Topic Author
More
24 Dec 2021 17:32 #3 by mc1903
Replied by mc1903 on topic Re: Any supported 5G USB modems/dongles?
Hi @edinburgh

Thank you for your suggestions.

10 Mbps FTTC is an improvement on the 2Mbps ADSL we used to get.

I don't want to dump the Draytek as it has BGP routing; which I use in my home lab.

I'll wait and see if the list changes in next few months.

Merry Christmas.
M

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
24 Dec 2021 19:16 #4 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Any supported 5G USB modems/dongles?

mc1903 wrote:
I have a Vigor2862 and my BT provided FTTC connection is poor (sub 10 Mbps)

See: Your right to request a decent broadband service: What you need to know

• j1mbo
  • User
  • User
More
30 Dec 2021 09:59 #5 by j1mbo
Replied by j1mbo on topic Re: Any supported 5G USB modems/dongles?
Good luck getting anywhere with that. The universal answer to the universal service guarantee is here's a 4G router, and if that doesn't work the cost of running fibre is way over the cap so it won't be done anyway. The only real option is the BT Community Fibre Partnership scheme if you have enough neighbours and the Gigabit Broadband scheme vouchers plus the local authority top-up vouchers add up to enough to cover the cost of the works.