Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Connecting Virgin Media Hitron Hub to Draytek Vigor 2860ac

• sirrah
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jan 2022 10:06 #1 by sirrah
I am attempting to connect my Virgin Media Business Hitron Hub to a Draytek Vigor 2860ac router.
I have multiple fixed IP addresses from VM and have setup the Hitron hub in Modem Mode as per VM’s instructions.
I have a cable from port 1 of the Hitron to the WAN2(giga) port of the Draytek.
I have set WAN 2 to Ethernet and have enabled static or dynamic IP addresses on the Internet Access screen. I have also set it to obtain an IP address automatically.
I have set the DNS on the Draytek Internet Access page to 8.8.8.8 and 192.168.12.10 (also various other combinations).
I can see that the Hitron has allocated an IP address of 192.168.0.10 (this was the default on the Hitron).
On the Draytek I have set LAN 1 to have an IP address of 192.168.12.10 and for DHCP to allocate addresses from 192.168.12.50.
On the PC I am using to test the system, DHCP has correctly allocated it an IP address of 192.168.12.50 and the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 192.168.12.10.
However, I still cannot access the Internet. If I ping 8.8.8.8 from the PC it fails and if I ping 192.168.12.10 it reaches it. So it can see the Draytek, but not the Internet.
I feel that this may be a DNS issue but I can’t see what it is that I have done wrong.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2022 16:30 #2 by piste basher
I'm not familiar with the Hitron (or indeed Virgin media) but I'm a bit puzzled by "the Hitron has allocated an IP address of 192.168.0.10"

Where do you see that address?

If it behaves like other devices in "modem mode" then what you should be seeing in the "Online Status - Physical Connection" page of your 2860 is an external IP address and gateway address allocated to you by Virgin, not an IP address from an internal range :?:

What do you see in the "online status" page? Do you actually have an internet connection?

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jan 2022 16:40 #3 by hornbyp
It's not a DNS issue (direct ping to IP address (e.g. 8.8.8.8) doesn't require its use). However, your choice of DNS Server addresses is a little 'unusual' and may cause issues further down the line. Assuming you don't have your own private DNS servers, the 2860 needs to use a pair of external servers (the ISP's or Google's, or QUAD9 etc). The LAN clients can use the 2860 itself, which can then do some caching and/or filtering.

I suspect the current issue is with the Hitron.

If you have multiple 'real-world' IP addresses from VM, you should (surely) just set each connected device (like the 2860) to use a particular one of them. (I suppose conceivably, a connected device could use more than one of them). You definitely don't want the Hitron dishing-out Private IP addresses (like 192.168.0.2) via DHCP. I'm very surprised that the DHCP server on the Hitron runs, when it is in Modem Mode ... are you sure it is :?:

(Blimey - it must have taken me 10 minutes to type that in - the previous reply wasn't there when I started :D )

More
04 Jan 2022 17:10 #4 by piste basher
:lol:

I have 5 WAN addresses from Zen and have in the past used some of them as per https://draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-nat-wanipalias

But at present I'm only using one whilst zealously guarding the others....

I see Draytek themselves have an article on setting the Hitron onto modem mode https://draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-virgin-hub-modem-mode

(scroll down for Hitron)