DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

My Router Has Arthritis and a Grey Beard

More
04 Feb 2022 09:13 #7 by craigski
Replied by craigski on topic Re: My Router Has Arthritis and a Grey Beard
New models may be more energy efficient?

Maybe a brand new shiny white one looks a lot nicer than an 8 year old tarnished yellow one, and looks 'faster' as its shinier?

They all seem to 'ripen' and go yellow as they mature, bring back the green!! :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2022 10:19 #8 by nick101
Replied by nick101 on topic Re: My Router Has Arthritis and a Grey Beard
I've had a 2860 for a lot longer than 5 years and it's solid as a rock. In fact, I've had two (worked away from home for a couple of years so set up separate broadband) and they've both been fine. Prior to the 2860, I had a 2820 and I had a 2600 before that. They never let me down.

I'm currently on FTTC (VDSL) getting 70Mbps download which seems perfectly adequate to me. If I wasn't moving to 900Mbps FTTP, I'd keep it - the only reason for a change is that the 2860 limits throughput through the Firewall to 300Mbps.

I'm a bit surprised at Zen (my ISP since 2013) - they're been a bit more flexible in their thinking in the past. I suspect their tech support is having to cope with much higher user numbers in recent years, so we may not get the quality if response we used to

• jrudman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
06 Feb 2022 11:35 #9 by jrudman
Replied by jrudman on topic Re: My Router Has Arthritis and a Grey Beard
Agreed nick101.
It's just a stock response by someone who's not really interested in investigating the real reason.
I've started logging the dropouts. I've had 6 since 28/1 and 4 of those have occurred in the same 1-hour time slot in late afternoon.
Perhaps my like me my silver-haired router needs to stop for tea and biscuits occasionally?

More
06 Feb 2022 11:38 #10 by nick101
Replied by nick101 on topic Re: My Router Has Arthritis and a Grey Beard
You may already have tried this, but on the one occasion I had an issue with one or other of the routers, I reset it to factory defaults and re-configured it from scratch (having written down the settings first, of course :D )

More
11 Feb 2022 15:51 #11 by stevepritchard
Replied by stevepritchard on topic Re: My Router Has Arthritis and a Grey Beard
Off-topic, but I'm surprised at the number of people who seem to have followed the same path as me; 2600 -> 2820 -> 2860 -> 2927 (or other FTTP router).

FWIW I did potentially have issues with my 2860 where it kept dropping the connection, I ended up borrowing one to see if it made any difference, and from memory it did until I got FTTP and then got the 2927.

Cheers,

Steve.