DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Opinions please - 2765 vs 2865 for FTTP

• nick101
  • Topic Author
More
06 Feb 2022 10:10 #1 by nick101
Hi all

We're switching from FTTC, using a venerable but highly reliable 2860, to FTTP. ISP (Zen) has supplied a Technicolor (was Thomson) router which may be OK but it's hard to find any reliable Information on it. Draytek having been a good solid servant (back to a 2820 in about 2013-ish), I'm inclined to replace the Zen-supplied router.

Choices are between a 2765 and a 2865 - any strong views on one over the other? Price gap is quite significant, so I'm wondering whether the extra cost of the 2865 is worth it.

Thanks all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2022 10:24 #2 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Opinions please - 2765 vs 2865 for FTTP
I recommend having a look at the router comparison chart to see if there are any features you'd need from the Vigor 2865: https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/comparison/router-comparison

There are four main reasons that I can think of to get the Vigor 2865 over the 2765:

• Load Balancing - can have more than one WAN active at a time

• Wireless WAN - fits in with Load Balancing, it can be handy with a phone's Personal Hotspot for backup broadband

• More VPNs - 32 active VPN tunnels instead of 2

• More LAN ports and more VLANs

Otherwise, the performance is similar with the Hardware Acceleration and it has the same QoS capabilities

Forum Administrator

• j1mbo
  • User
  • User
More
07 Feb 2022 10:56 #3 by j1mbo
If you can stretch to it get the 2865 or even 2927 assuming you don't want to retain the FTTC.

In my experience WiFi will be better served by something else, personally I have had very good results with BT Whole Home pack (the 4x4 dishes) and Unifi gear.

More
07 Feb 2022 17:56 #4 by pharcyder
Replied by pharcyder on topic Re: Opinions please - 2765 vs 2865 for FTTP
I recall reading if you disable the Firewall, enable Hardware Acceleration and disable Data Flow Monitor, you'll get a much higher throughput out of a 2860.

Not much of a solution if you're self-hosting or need to use these features but if you're a home user who just needs a more basic config, this could save some £££

• nick101
  • Topic Author
More
14 Feb 2022 12:50 #5 by nick101
Replied by nick101 on topic Re: Opinions please - 2765 vs 2865 for FTTP
Thanks all for these helpful replies. I have the 2860 running quite well (the hints on how to up the speed worked).

Zen are replacing the Technicolor router they sent (it doesn’t support our static IP address range and there’s no meaningful documentation anywhere) with something else, but I’ve run out of patience (wrestling with the Technicolor has taken days).

I can see some useful benefits in the 2865 so I’ll probably swallow the extra cost.

Thanks again