Draytek 2960 rebooting - console port?

• ccarmock
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
09 Feb 2022 19:49 #1 by ccarmock
Draytek 2960 rebooting - console port? was created by ccarmock
I have a 2960 that randomly reboots sometimes 20 times an hour. I have wiped the config and rebuilt from scratch still get the same. I have a support case open that has now been open since December. Syslogging has not produced anything valid.

Support has now asked me to use a serial cable to conenct to the console port and log to PuTTY. First question I had for them is where is the console port on the 2960 - they said I can use any of the 4 LAN ports as a serial console port.

So I have a Serial cable RJ 45 to 9PIN serial that works fine with a Cisco switch, but nothing from the Draytek 2960 First question are the LAN ports also serial ports on certain pins? and secondly If so do they use the same pinouts as Cisco for RJ45 serial?

The 2960 manual makes no reference to a serial console port.

Any help appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• j1mbo
  • User
  • User
More
10 Feb 2022 09:08 #2 by j1mbo
Replied by j1mbo on topic Re: Draytek 2960 rebooting - console port?
wow I didn't know that. Cue OpenWRT hacking. Cisco used a 'rolled' cable btw whilst everyone else uses whatever the other type was. Random trivia - never connect a Cisco cable to an APC UPS serial interface as it will immediately power off the UPS!

More
10 Feb 2022 11:16 #3 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: Draytek 2960 rebooting - console port?
I think there may have been a bit of confusion there. The Vigor 2960 doesn't have a console port available on it. They should find a different method to resolve the problem.

Random trivia - never connect a Cisco cable to an APC UPS serial interface as it will immediately power off the UPS!

Different pinouts :) Thankfully the other way around (APC cable) doesn't cause immediate power off from what I recall, but I've labelled them up where possible to avoid mixing them up. At least USB has never had the same connector with different pinouts.

Forum Administrator

• ccarmock
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
11 Feb 2022 15:20 #4 by ccarmock
Replied by ccarmock on topic Re: Draytek 2960 rebooting - console port?
Support have now come back to me to say they made a mistake and connecting to a serial port will require opening the router and modifying.
If need be they will send me a pre-modified one to try to capture logs.

My issue is constant reboots of the 2960 which has been stable since I got it until recently. I tried a factory reset and rebuild config from scratch - still reboots)
I am using it with a Virgin Media Business (5 static IP) service.

I also have a Draytek 2862ac connected to the LAN and also on a different public IP on the WAN on the same cable service.
What I have noticed is if I have my PC (wired) set to use the 2862 router as it's gateway I get noticeable buffering on YouTube - especially if I move the playback position. If i switch to using the 2960 (remember same broadband) the buffering issue goes away. Switch back to the 2862 and it's back.

the 2960 is running FW 1.5.1.3 (ie latest available)
the 2862 is running 3.9.6.2_BT (which i will update to 3.9.7 later) Harware accelerastion is enabled (in auto mode) if I dont' have this I get sub-optimal performance on file transfers). The cable service to 500 Mb/s down 50 Mb/s up

I know the 2960 is old and discontinued now but I really liked the Linux based Drayteks - really fast and reliable (until now). They don't ever require reboots when applying config changes. I had been considering a 3910 but as that is DrayOS based, like the 2862, I am concerend about this buffering issue - wondered if anyone has any thoughts?

• j1mbo
  • User
  • User
More
14 Feb 2022 10:33 #5 by j1mbo
Replied by j1mbo on topic Re: Draytek 2960 rebooting - console port?
WAN MTU as per the other thread.

• ccarmock
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Mar 2022 16:59 #6 by ccarmock
Replied by ccarmock on topic Re: Draytek 2960 rebooting - console port?
Just quick update on this thread Draytek support have loaned me a modified 2960 which appears to have a TTL serial to USB converted attached to the 4 horizonal pins on the board marked DrayICE

Based on various tests we have concluded the original 2960 has a hardware fault, as he config works reliably on the loaned unit but not on my original.
I think I have found the problem with the original router.

On the small PSU board there is a 680uF 16V capacitor which has a domed top indicating it has failed or is about to fail. Have some replacements on the way, so will swap it out and see if that fixes the problem.