• keithshall
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
13 Feb 2022 14:28 #1 by keithshall
Models for Netgear replacement? was created by keithshall
Hi forum.
I would like your advise on models for my home network.
Currently have Netgear D7800 Modem Router, but using Vigor 130 VDSL Modem, and Netgear EX770 Extender. (have reset Extender many times!!! hence move away from Netgear).
House is typical 2 storey rectangular block 10m x 5m (33ft x 17ft) but router is in a an extension on one corner of the house and so is roughly 10ft outside the normal house.
Extender is used as have warm air ducting with main duct going through centre of house from top to bottom - hence causing signal issues.
I was looking at the 2927ax (as new WiFi 6) with possibly the AP903 or the AP960C (if you can get hold of one).
Would this be sufficient or should there be an AP on both floors?
Looking forward to your vast knowledge.
Keith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
13 Feb 2022 16:31 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Models for Netgear replacement?
The best answer - if at all possible - is to add 'some structured cabling' - aka CAT6/UTP, so that where extra APs are still required, they can be optimally located. Obviously, there's expense and upheaval involved - how long are you going to live there?

It's very hard to know, exactly what kit would be best for your particular house. You've not said what the requirements are wrt performance (as in, you can be connected, but with lack-lustre throughput). [My lower limit is 25Mbps, for 4K Netflix - because I don't do any large transfers between wireless nodes].

You probably need to some sort of survey of the signal levels your current kit is achieving in different locations. There are limits on transmit powers, so I'm guessing there's not much difference between manufacturers in this respect. (The connected equipment (i.e. your phone etc) is limited and fixed anyway ... and the conversation needs to flow both ways).

There are many apps you can use to do your survey - but the best device to use is an old Android phone/tablet, running Android 6. (Later versions limit the no. of times an App can query the Wifi - so they don't update properly, unless you manually kill and restart them!)

Try this site:[url] https://www.metageek.com/training/resources/wifi-signal-strength-basics/[/url] for inspiration.

Just one thought about your existing extender - have you sited it at the mid-point, between the Router and the clients? Some people (my sister!) have been know to place it close to the problem Wifi client and find that doesn't help at all!

• j1mbo
  • User
  • User
More
14 Feb 2022 14:17 #3 by j1mbo
Replied by j1mbo on topic Re: Models for Netgear replacement?
Make sure you read through the wifi section here.