DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2865 FW 4.3.2.1 BT Serious Bug????

• george.h
  • Topic Author
More
20 Feb 2022 09:12 #1 by george.h
Having upgraded a Vigor 2865 from 4.2.2 BT a couple of weeks ago to 4.3.2.1 BT, it now takes an ETERNITY to reconnect following a reboot.

It just sits there going TRAINING... READY.... TRAINING... READY.... TRAINING.....

When I first did the upgrade I ended up phoning Draytek support in the UK and it eventualy came back on line WHILE I was on the phone. 45 MINUTES after rebooted following the upgrade.

Because this is installed on a remote site (for CCTV) it does a scheduled reboot Sunday mornings. This used to take minutes for it to come back up - like 5-10 max.

Last Sunday it took 30 MINUTES./

This morning it almost an hour and it STILL hasn't came back on line.

There is something seriously wrong with this firmware.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2022 09:35 #2 by txrx
I've had numerous issues with the the 4.3.2.1 firmware and have had to revert back to 4.3.1.1.

I've got an open ticket with Draytek support at the moment to try and help with the issues. I would recommend going back to 4.3.1.1 if possible until the issues are hopefully sorted out in the upcoming 4.4.0 firmware that they're working on at the moment.

Just for clarification I'm running a 2865Lac that has been rock solid on 4.3.1.1.

You may want to open a ticket with support so that they can diagnose your particular issue too.

• george.h
  • Topic Author
More
20 Feb 2022 11:46 #3 by george.h
Replied by george.h on topic Re: Vigor 2865 FW 4.3.2.1 BT Serious Bug????
Hi TxRx,

At least I'm not the only one!

As this router was installed (by me) to provide VPN access to a remote CCTV system, having this thing work properly is pretty critical.

I ended up going on site a short while ago, partly to check this wasn't a power outage as there were a couple that affected the site yesterday due to the storm. Arrived and all the power was on and the backup generators of a site next door weren't running (always a good indictation power wise - if we can hear their generators running it usually means a power failure). The router was sitting STILL trying to connect, flipping between READY and TRAINGING for over TWO HOURS!!!!

Tried downgrading the firmware to 4.3.1.1 BT, which I'd taken with me, and it crapped out with same weird HTTPS error that I'd encoutered every time I tried to downgrade it after the initial upgrade to 4.3.2.1 BT, when it took nearly 45 minutes to connect.

Luckily still had the original (fee) PlusNet Sagem VDSL router to hand, ready and configured from when I installed the Vigor 2865 just under a year ago. The Sagem came up and connected to VDSL in about 3 minutes or so.

I've left that one in place so the CCTV system can be remotely monitored (albeit without the ability to VPN in to manage it fully - it does 24 recording as well to an onsite NVR) and its 8 cameras can send alarm event notification emails (with nice snapshots). I've also brought back the Vigor 2865 and going to have another go downgrading the firmware on my home network and get a screen capture of then weird error it comes up with when craps out - which I'll post on here.

• george.h
  • Topic Author
More
20 Feb 2022 12:50 #4 by george.h
Have managed to get it downgraded to 4.3.1.1 BT but what a faff.

Firmware downgrade appeared to go OK and reported successful and received the usual message about waiting 40 seconds or so while it rebooted.

Over 5 MINUTES later, the lights on the front are doing the correct things but no response from it - no ping responses, not web interface - so power cycled it. Didn't try SSH.

Same thing. It appears to be dishing out IP addresses via DHCP but the web interface totally unresponsive.

Did a factory reset.

Back up and now it has 4.3.1.1 BT so I did config restore from my config backup from 4.2.2 and it appears to be working now. At least I can get back into the web interface and all the config stuff is there.

Now to schedule a site visit and see if VDSL connection works, but that probably won't happen today.

• george.h
  • Topic Author
More
21 Feb 2022 22:34 #5 by george.h
Hi,

Managed to get back on site late afternoon today.

Swapped the PlusNet Sagem VDSL router back over to the Vigor 2865 now running firmware 4.3.1.1.

Once it had finished booting up it connected to VDSL in under 30 seconds - compared to 4.3.2.1 FAILING to connect on Sunday (following a scheduled reboot) after over 2 HOURS!

Apart from having to do a restore of the most recent config (created under firmware 4.2.2) it now seems to work fine. Naturally, after restoring the config today it did another reboot and, just like earlier, after finishing booting up it connected to VDSL in under 30 seconds.

There appears to be somerthing seriously wrong in 4.3.2.1 BT.

Is anyone successfully running with this FW?

More
22 Feb 2022 15:35 #6 by admin3
It's very possible that the router was restarting and that's why it didn't appear to sync/connect. Watch the router's uptime to check for that.
You can check the router's debug log information by opening the router's web console (sliders icon, top right) and entering "sys ver dbg". That should show which firmware restarted last, if it was a crash that the router was able to catch & record. That persists even after the router is power cycled or reflashed so should still be available.

There are some crash issues with 4.3.2 / 4.3.2.1 that are tough to check for before the firmware's released. The upcoming 4.4.0 firmware fixes a few of those and if there are any features you need in the later firmware, you could contact support for the latest 4.4.0 RC to see if that works for you. It's a good idea to engage with support if you can, the problems you're experiencing could potentially be specific to your network. The support team can check the debug log against other reported issues to identify whether it's an issue that's already been resolved.

Forum Administrator