DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2865 FW 4.3.2.1 BT Serious Bug????

• george.h
  • Topic Author
More
22 Feb 2022 16:41 #7 by george.h
Replied by george.h on topic Re: Vigor 2865 FW 4.3.2.1 BT Serious Bug????
Hi Admin3,

It didn't look like the router itself was crashing or restarting - unless it could do that while the switch part kept running.

Due to the topography of the system, some of the CCTV cameras go through the 2865's switch, so when it reboots the feed for those cameras drops out. I didn't see that happening at all. I did look at the uptime and that didn't appear to keep resetting or freezing.

I did raise it with support but they seemed only interested in the me having problems downgrading it back to an eariler release of firmware - when I updated them to say I'd been able to do that, they completely ignored the failing to connect on VDSL and closed the ticket.

Me being an awkward so and so, I might re-open it in relation to the VDSL connection issue.

I can't see how the failure to connect to VDSL can be an issue specific to my network, as the 2865 is connected directly to the master socket using the supplied cable (no extensions of any sort). Swapping it for the PlusNet SAGEM VDSL router (supplied by PlusNet when the site was upgraded to 80/20 FTTC) using the same cable, the SAGEM connected immediately in under 30 seconds. As did the 2865 after downgrading to 3.1.1.1.

That suggests something significantly wrong in the 4.3.2.1 firmware.

"if there are any features you need in the later firmware" - the primary features I would like in future firmware is reliability, fast reconnection time and stable VPN.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2022 17:04 #8 by admin3
Ah okay, thanks for explaining, I'm not sure just downgrading firmware is the right fix - but it's good that it's got the connection working for you. The next step would have been to determine the cause and get that fixed in future firmwares. Otherwise you're essentially stuck on that firmware version.

Can you get the output of "vdsl inv co" from the router's web console?

The BT modem code does get tested with a few UK VDSL lines to ensure connectivity & reliability. But perhaps there are certain conditions or issues with certain line types, that may be causing your connection problems.

Forum Administrator

• george.h
  • Topic Author
More
22 Feb 2022 17:15 #9 by george.h
Replied by george.h on topic Re: Vigor 2865 FW 4.3.2.1 BT Serious Bug????
I agree - downgrading is a "workaround".

The whole reason for upgrading to the latest firmware was to see if it improved some periodic VPN stability issues which I'd been having recently.

The prime reason for going for a Vigor 2865 was the VPN functionality so I could connect directly to the site for remote management of the PCs there without having to use anything like TeamViewer. I just connect using OpenVPN Connect and RDP into the PCs Likewise I can connect directly to any of the CCTV cameras for NVR without the firewall being a factor. Especially as the CCTV system is a "hybrid" of two different manufacturers kit. While all of the cameras do 24 hour recording onto the NVR, some using NVR manufacturers own protocol, the others use ONVIF. Those others, however, can't be managed through the NVR so I have to connect to them directly (via the VPN) - at least until the whole system, including NVR, has been migrated over to the new kit (HikVision).

Although being able to wake up PCs using WOL just using the 2865, without having to have at least one PC "on", has been a very useful "extra".

I did have a USB memory stick plugged in for USB syslog recording, which I think I left on site when I brought the 2865 back to work on getting it successfully downgraded to FW 3.1.1.1. When I find where I put that, it should still have all the logs on it from 4.3.2.1.