Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

BT FTTP Router Replacement

• oppl667
  • Topic Author
More
23 Feb 2022 19:53 #1 by oppl667
BT FTTP Router Replacement was created by oppl667
Hi Everyone,

I’m looking for a replacement for my BT router which is on an FTTP connection and I have a couple of questions/ looking for a reccomended model

I’d like a device with VLAN support, firewall, and the ability to run a client vpn on selected VLANs (just to be clear I mean as in a permanent tunnel to Nord VPN that clients on those VLANs will be routed over

I’ve read a couple of threads about performance and stability issues - what would be the best code base for this?

Also I’d ideally like a kill switch/black hole such that if the VPN is down, traffic cannot get out to the Internet

I see some units have Wi-Fi - how is the performance? What’s the general consensus in this community on using onboard WiFi vs external access points?

With this in mind what’s the best option in terms of a model?

Many thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• digitalis1
  • User
  • User
More
23 Feb 2022 21:42 #2 by digitalis1
Replied by digitalis1 on topic Re: BT FTTP Router Replacement
I'm fairly sure most recent models can do the vlan/separate VPN routing. Should be quite easy to do using route policy also. I've found the WiFi on any Draytek model I've had to be lacking (poor range) and invested in a separate Unifi AP some time ago - this combination of Draytek and separate AP works well for me.

More
24 Feb 2022 09:54 #3 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: BT FTTP Router Replacement
Stopping specific traffic if the VPN is down is quite easy to do - just set up a Policy Route rule to send that traffic through the VPN tunnel, don't turn on the Failover options for that rule :)

Forum Administrator