DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2765: subnets impacting WAN speed?

• talkingcats
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
26 Feb 2022 16:01 #1 by talkingcats
Vigor 2765: subnets impacting WAN speed? was created by talkingcats
I have a Vigor 2765 which I have set up to use Sky FTTC.

After basic setup was completed I benchmarked speeds of 72/18 Mbits which was comparable to my Sky supplied router. This speed test was done on a Windows 10 pro wired client using the Ookla Speedtest app (not the website) with a pre-configured test target server. The wired client was connected to LAN1 (192.168.1.1/24).

Since then I have connected the 2765 to a Netgear GS305EP managed switch and put a Unifi UAP-AC-PRO WAP and some Linux clients on the switch. Now I benchmark at 68/18 Mbits on the same Windows Pro wired client, still connected to the 2765 directly. I have activated three VLAN (0 to 2) and use them to place traffic in three subnets LAN1, LAN2 and LAN3. The tagged VLANs have been propagated to the switch and WAP so that traffic on SSIDs can be segmented into subnets. I also configured LAN4 192.168.4.1/24 but it is presently unused.

I see a few possibilities:

1. The Openreach cabinet is slowing me down (interleaving?) because I have bounced the 2765 quite a few times in the last two weeks;
2. The UAP-AC-PRO is not playing nice, as I have seen reported on the web, but can't see how this would impact wired traffic on 192.168.1.1/24;
3. The extra work done by the 2765 in maintaining the VLANs and subnets is causing the processing speed to drop

If it is (3) then I am prepared to put with it as I am losing only 5% of my throughput and if that is trade off for having a more secure segmented LAN then so be it. At the moment, I am am disinclined to do more tests that involve bouncing the 2765, as that could aggravate the issue if the cabinet thinks my line quality has degraded. Does anyone have thoughts?

All network devices are on their latest firmware.

Many thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2022 17:37 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor 2765: subnets impacting WAN speed?
Depends what you mean by "quite a few times" but when I used 2860 series routers it didn't take long for interleaving to be applied after I had re-booted a number of times.

This Is why I went to a separate 130 modem and 292x series some years ago. Connection speeds have been rock solid since then.

I use several VLANS and have not noticed any WAN speed changes when implementing them.

More
26 Feb 2022 22:33 #3 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: Vigor 2765: subnets impacting WAN speed?
If you have interleaving applied, you'll see that in the DSL status.

I don't think interleaving would be applied as quickly as you're describing, but of course it depends on how many times you've restarted and also, I presume, on your cabinet.

Since I had lots of problems with my line, I once tried to deliberately restart my 2762 several times for interleaving to kick in to provide more stability so I could continue working, but no matter how hard I tried, it didn't.

• talkingcats
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
27 Feb 2022 00:19 #4 by talkingcats
Replied by talkingcats on topic Re: Vigor 2765: subnets impacting WAN speed?
Thanks to both of you. It IS interleaving. I didn't notice until Edinburgh mentioned it, but the DSL status has changed. The down stream was showing as 79000+ but now it is showing as 75116.

How long do you think i need to wait before it restores my faster connection, which was stable until i started pratting around with the router. I must have bounced it perhaps 10 times in the past couple of weeks.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
27 Feb 2022 00:55 #5 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 2765: subnets impacting WAN speed?

talkingcats wrote:
How long do you think i need to wait before it restores my faster connection, which was stable until i started pratting around with the router. I must have bounced it perhaps 10 times in the past couple of weeks.

It seems to be complete mystery, with many web pages devoted to the subject ... I read somewhere, that your ISP might be able to get OpenReach to reset it. (But my understanding, is that it's not caused by multiple router reboots, but by multiple errors on the line. Also, it seems to have more of an effect on latency, than speed).

Interestingly, my 2860n was rebooted many, many times last week, thanks to Western Power and their archaic wiring in North Devon (power off for 10 seconds, back on for 10 seconds ... repeated for 2 hours - until it went off completely for 8 hours). The 2860's 'reported SNR' dropped instantly and took a week to recover, but the sync. speed was larger unchanged. I don't believe the line was ever set to "Interleaved" - and it definitely isn't now.

More
27 Feb 2022 08:37 #6 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Vigor 2765: subnets impacting WAN speed?
When this happened to me and my down speed had dropped from near 40 to around 21 I waited months for it to increase again but it never did. As I recall this was a time before ISP's were able to request a line reset from Openreach. When the rules changed and they were able to do so I asked Zen to reset mine and they were happy to oblige. That, together with the change to a separate modem, solved the problem for me. Been stable at about 39.9 ever since.