DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2765: subnets impacting WAN speed?

More
03 Mar 2022 08:11 #7 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: Vigor 2765: subnets impacting WAN speed?

hornbyp wrote:

talkingcats wrote:
How long do you think i need to wait before it restores my faster connection, which was stable until i started pratting around with the router. I must have bounced it perhaps 10 times in the past couple of weeks.

It seems to be complete mystery, with many web pages devoted to the subject ... I read somewhere, that your ISP might be able to get OpenReach to reset it. (But my understanding, is that it's not caused by multiple router reboots, but by multiple errors on the line. Also, it seems to have more of an effect on latency, than speed).

Interestingly, my 2860n was rebooted many, many times last week, thanks to Western Power and their archaic wiring in North Devon (power off for 10 seconds, back on for 10 seconds ... repeated for 2 hours - until it went off completely for 8 hours). The 2860's 'reported SNR' dropped instantly and took a week to recover, but the sync. speed was larger unchanged. I don't believe the line was ever set to "Interleaved" - and it definitely isn't now.

That's what I thought about errors, but having read multiple fora like Kitz for example, I don't think that's solely the reason. Users there post that interleaving kicked in after multiple resets. My tentative conclusion is that it depends on how DSLAM equipment is set at a particular exchange and your profile. My line is noisy but I'm on fastpath and that's despite several restarts in the past.

In response to what can be done: you could try asking your ISP to reset the line or wait until you have a period of stability - some users report a few weeks - and should be back to fastpath.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• talkingcats
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
04 Mar 2022 22:29 #8 by talkingcats
Replied by talkingcats on topic Re: Vigor 2765: subnets impacting WAN speed?
Just an update. After a week my sync speed has returned to normal, 79000/20000, though that hasn't yet led to a return to normal download speed 72/18. I haven't rebooted the router for over a week.

• talkingcats
  • Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
05 Mar 2022 10:45 #9 by talkingcats
Replied by talkingcats on topic Re: Vigor 2765: subnets impacting WAN speed?

edinburgh wrote:
That's what I thought about errors, but having read multiple fora like Kitz for example, I don't think that's solely the reason. Users there post that interleaving kicked in after multiple resets. My tentative conclusion is that it depends on how DSLAM equipment is set at a particular exchange and your profile. My line is noisy but I'm on fastpath and that's despite several restarts in the past.

In response to what can be done: you could try asking your ISP to reset the line or wait until you have a period of stability - some users report a few weeks - and should be back to fastpath.

I benchmarked my speed this morning and its is back to normal. 72.5 Mbits down/18.6 Mbits up. I noticed that my sync speed had returned to normal yesterday but at first that did not result in an increase in download speed.

So my experience is that not restarting my router for 8 days has led to a return to my usual download speeds. However as you note I am sure that there are other factors at play