DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Firewall reboots etc

More
09 Mar 2022 20:06 #1 by ajrb
Firewall reboots etc was created by ajrb
Hi all
I'm new here, but have a quick question to the advanced draytek users.
I'm looking for a subscription-less firewall designed for small businesses. From what I've found, Draytek seem to be the perfect fit. However, I'm often asked to make changes to firewall configs on a regular basis, and when testing on a draytek, they seem to want to reboot after almost every change, which is no good when people are on VoIP calls etc as these then disconnect.
I see that there was a Linux version of Draytek OS that didn't need reboots all the time. Is anyone aware of any intention to revive that, or update the current OS to not require reboots after each config change? I've managed to get away with going back a page on some things to avoid a reboot, but this only seems to work for some setting changes.
How do you guys get round this? Seems pretty annoying.. Any other suggestions of other firewalls welcome.. I also use pfsense etc, but would like to put a draytek at one of my client sites. Specifically looking at the vigor 2962 - I see the Linux based 2960 has been discontinued.

Thanks all in advance.

Cheers
Adam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2022 12:10 #2 by pharcyder
Replied by pharcyder on topic Re: Firewall reboots etc
I can't answer the Linux question but I can confirm that on my 2860 & 2865, adding/modifying/removing FW rules takes effect immediately and does not force a reboot.

More
11 Mar 2022 03:38 #3 by ajrb
Replied by ajrb on topic Re: Firewall reboots etc
Hey, thanks for the response. I saw a video recently that setting up a new interface (vlan, lan/wan) and assigning to a port, forces a reboot. The most common change after firewall rules is setting up vlans etc.
It's a shame because they seem excellent products, but let down by something that seems like it should be obvious in 2022 for a business.

• ccarmock
  • User
  • User
More
11 Mar 2022 14:20 #4 by ccarmock
Replied by ccarmock on topic Re: Firewall reboots etc
Hi using a 2862 aand a 3910 - both are DrayOS based neithr require a reboot for modification of firewall rules. But many other changes and they do, to the degree it's cumbersome and a distraction, but thankfully for firewall rules and VPN setups they don't.

They do perform well usually, and for the most part very stable. of course a rougue firmware version can creep in, but that is the same with all vendors.

I agree with you re the Linux based deviecs - the 2960's were amazing routers - mine would run hapily without any problems with 600 Mb/s+ throughput. My 2960 had an 'uptime' of almost a year. I never came across any config change whatsoever that required a reboot. Why Draytek moved away from the Linux OS to consolidate on DrayOS I have no idea, as the Linux devices were far more 'Enterprise class'

I have just had to replace a 2960 due to a hardware fault that was causing it to reboot often, and already miss it.

You can still get one via eBay etc if you really want them, but they are expensive for what is now a discontinued model, with no word on how long Darytek will support them with firmware bug/security fixes. Last firmware was from around July 2021.

• talkingcats
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
11 Mar 2022 14:29 #5 by talkingcats
Replied by talkingcats on topic Re: Firewall reboots etc

pharcyder wrote:
I can't the Linux question but I can confirm that on my 2860 & 2865, adding/modifying/removing FW rules takes effect immediately and does not force a reboot.

I can confirm that no reboot is required when changing firewall rules on the Vigor 2765

More
11 Mar 2022 18:49 #6 by ajrb
Replied by ajrb on topic Re: Firewall reboots etc
Thank you all. Firewall rules are a bit part of what I do for sure, but creation of VLAN interfaces etc is also a big part, and from what I've seen, these need reboots
Perhaps I just should look elsewhere from draytek? My experience has always been outstanding with them, but I need something I can make changes to without needing a reboot :(

The Linux version seems perfect, but I also need something in support really