DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2866lac Poor DSL uplink speed

• dalethecaptain
  • Topic Author
More
30 Mar 2022 16:32 #1 by dalethecaptain
Vigor 2866lac Poor DSL uplink speed was created by dalethecaptain
I have a Vigor 2866LAC running software version 4.3.2 and I'm having issues with uplink connection speed, which makes the router unusable. I am with Zen and don't have G.Fast yet so I am just using in DSL mode as per my previous 2860 router. When I plug in the Fritz box supplied by Zen I am seeing roughly 40mb down and 8mb up in line with the norm for my exchange, however the 2866 will only sync at 24mb down but only 700kbps up link. Tried restoring all settings and I have all the correct settings from Zen but still no luck.

Anyone else experienced this problem? I see FW4.3.2.1 is available so I will try this but I find it odd a new product is not working properly out of the box.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
31 Mar 2022 02:12 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Vigor 2866lac Poor DSL uplink speed

dalethecaptain wrote:
I see FW4.3.2.1 is available so I will try this

Yes, definitely worth trying.

Note there is an option to use different 'Modem Code' (i.e. optimised for different DSL cabs). It's a bit of a black art (suck-it-and-see), but on the download page , you'll see there are (now) two downloads
"BT-Recommended" and "(1232303 Modem Code)". Try them both :!:

Additionally, there are (sometimes) sub-options within the firmware itself. Go to "WAN1 >> General Setup" and you should see them, next to the DSL Modem Code: menu item:-

(That screenshot is from the live demo )

but I find it odd a new product is not working properly out of the box.

You're new to Draytek products, I assume :roll: :wink:
(On the plus-side, they'll probably still be releasing new firmware for it in 10 years time!)

• dalethecaptain
  • Topic Author
More
14 Apr 2022 17:39 #3 by dalethecaptain
Replied by dalethecaptain on topic Re: Vigor 2866lac Poor DSL uplink speed
Thanks for the reply. I got around to getting the Vigor back out again and I tried both versions, neither solve the problem. I'm of the opinion the hardware is faulty as it has never worked in this house, and both the Zen supplied Fritz and one I bought both work no problems.

• jadzy
  • User
  • User
More
16 Apr 2022 12:56 #4 by jadzy
Replied by jadzy on topic Re: Vigor 2866lac Poor DSL uplink speed
different DSL modems (even ones built into fancier routers) have different chipsets in them to do the DSL signal processing. different firmware instances on that chip add to the mix. they interact with whatever the DSL chip is in the DSLAM you're connected to. Which will be ECI or Huawei DSLAM with a few different chipsets in play. So swapping things around gets different combos. some work better than others.

Openreach's DLM will be taking note of what chipset your device reports to the DSLAM and changing the DSLAM line profile based on chipset and stability/speed. it takes a few days to do so.

So i suspect its tuned your line for the Fritz box and whatever chipset/firmware that has. but that results in a terrible interop with whatever both draytek have in them! if you put up with the useless upstream rate for several days, DLM should start changing things. likely to the detriment of the Fritz box.