DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Virgin Modem Mode with Single Static IP

• desquinn
  • Topic Author
More
04 Apr 2022 17:12 #1 by desquinn
Virgin Modem Mode with Single Static IP was created by desquinn
Client got Virgin 500 mbps connection with a single static IP. Was hoping to have router in modem mode and then let the draytek do all the work but it does not seem as if there is a modem mode on the router. Seen a comment online that the static ip may be why modem mode is not present but not confirmed this.

So wondering what is the best way to have the draytek and virgin router work together. I can put the draytek in the DMZ but trying to avoid any double NATing and allow the draytek to have unfettered access to the internet.

Any thoughts on how this should be configured?

For anyone else that ends up here the answer is relatively simple. You cannot have the device in modem mode with a single static IP. In Multi Nat setups with 5 IPs etc it is always in modem mode and you need an internal firewall.

on a dynamic you may get the choice but you can have it in modem mode at least.

Des Quinn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
04 Apr 2022 17:37 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Virgin Modem Mode with Single Static IP

desquinn wrote:
Client got Virgin 500 mbps connection with a single static IP. Was hoping to have router in modem mode and then let the draytek do all the work but it does not seem as if there is a modem mode on the router. Seen a comment online that the static ip may be why modem mode is not present but not confirmed this.

That would seem like an odd, retrograde step...

I used Virgin/NTL domestically from 2001-2019 and once commercially (in 2005!) and always had access to 'Modem-mode', but I know from some comments in VM's forums that occasionally new modems had been initially released without it. If it really is the case that it's missing, I can't see any option other than using the DMZ :(

(AIUI, the Static IP isn't really static in the DOCSIS world - just an entry in a DHCP table somewhere...)

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/cable/modems/ubr924/configuration/guide/scg924bc.html wrote: Note The DOCSIS specification requires that every DOCSIS cable modem obtain its IP address from an authorized DHCP server during the reset or power-on provisioning process. ... The only way to assign a static IP address to a cable modem is to configure the DHCP server so that it assigns the desired IP address on the basis of the cable modem's MAC address...

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
04 Apr 2022 17:40 #3 by hornbyp
I've not re-read this to check if it's still applicable, but it might help

Draytek wrote: Firstly, check if your specific router model supports the True-DMZ facility as it is not available on all models, or older models.

https://www.draytek.co.uk/archive/kb_vigor_truedmz.html

• desquinn
  • Topic Author
More
04 Apr 2022 17:47 #4 by desquinn
Replied by desquinn on topic Re: Virgin Modem Mode with Single Static IP
cheers for the responses and will have a look at the link. The area where modem mode should be is still there but no option. Recently deployed a draytek at another site with virgin and BT ADSL and it did not have the option either but it was not an issue for their. It is for this client so will maybe need to talk to their support.

I remember multiple calls with BlueYonder and then VM support establishing what a static IP address actually was. Knew it was a reservation but their support could never get away from "yes its static but could change at some point if your device was off...." Ended up reporgramming in my head that they are "sticky" IPs and then could talk to them about it :)

Des Quinn

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
04 Apr 2022 18:02 #5 by hornbyp

desquinn wrote:
cheers for the responses and will have a look at the link.

Thinking about it, the 'True DMZ' functionality would need to be in VM's Cablemodem, rather than the Vigor :(

... Knew it was a reservation but their support could never get away from "yes its static but could change at some point if your device was off...."

In a domestic setting, I used to have the same IP address for many months at a time - then it would change without warning, presumably as a result of some 'messin' at the VM end :roll:

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
04 Apr 2022 18:11 #6 by hornbyp
I did a quick search of VM's forums and didn't find anyone complaining about the lack of Modem Mode ... apart from a user in Ireland...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Can-t-see-Modem-Mode-in-Hub-Settings-page/td-p/4848603