• notoriousbig
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Apr 2022 19:46 #1 by notoriousbig
Reporting Attached Device Names was created by notoriousbig
Hello,

I have a draytek 2866 router with firmware 4.3.2.1 installed. Does anyone know why when devices are connected to any of the Lan's configured, only a few of the devices will have their names shown within the dashboard? This is the same for devices such as phones, smart watches etc. At the very least, only the MAC Address and IP Address for the devices will be shown. The Host ID field will be blank.

Many thanks

Notorious

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2022 22:09 #2 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: Reporting Attached Device Names
I don't know if you can. I've never been able to work it out myself. I presume the reason why some are showing their names is to do with security, including the randomisation of Mac addresses of some devices and also dynamic address assignment on the internal network.

Some routers allow you to assign specific names like my Fritzbox, for example, but in such cases you'd also need to assign a fixed address on your network.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
06 Apr 2022 00:49 #3 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Reporting Attached Device Names

Notoriousbig wrote:
I have a draytek 2866 router with firmware 4.3.2.1 installed. Does anyone know why when devices are connected to any of the Lan's configured, only a few of the devices will have their names shown within the dashboard?

I've noticed this with other Routers (Draytek and others). I've always assumed (but never confirmed), that it's information supplied by some DHCP clients to the DHCP Server. I can't quite spot which DHCP message this information would be conveyed in ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol

• talkingcats
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
07 Apr 2022 16:44 #4 by talkingcats
Replied by talkingcats on topic Re: Reporting Attached Device Names

Notoriousbig wrote:
Hello,

I have a draytek 2866 router with firmware 4.3.2.1 installed. Does anyone know why when devices are connected to any of the Lan's configured, only a few of the devices will have their names shown within the dashboard? This is the same for devices such as phones, smart watches etc. At the very least, only the MAC Address and IP Address for the devices will be shown. The Host ID field will be blank.

My partial solution to this issue is to use LAN DNS. (https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-lan-dns). For all my infrastructure hardware (servers, printers, etc), I configured DHCP to issue fixed IP addresses. Then I assign LAN DNS entries to each of those hosts which allows me to refer to host names rather that IP addresses. I also give names to each fixed IP address to that they will show up as named when using Diagnostics > DHCP Table. This does not solve the issue for mobile devices or IoT which are I am loathed to grant fixed addresses to. The problem with iOS devices is that Apple's security will not allow the netbios device name to be shown,

Still the Draytek works better than my old Sky ER115 router!