Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

DHCP and 2927

• markwaterhouse
  • Topic Author
More
20 Apr 2022 16:47 #1 by markwaterhouse
DHCP and 2927 was created by markwaterhouse
Hi all

I have recently acquired a 2927 router to replace the 2832 which has worked for us for some years.
The purpose of the change was to utilise the dual wan ports and, having set it up, I am delighted to see that both WAN ports are getting used.

Since installing the new router though, I have not had any success in getting the DHCP server moved between the two routers and so the old router (2832) remains on the network.
It is a very simple DHCP service running on LAN1 only.
I am providing DHCP addresses from 172.17.4.1 (200 addresses in the pool) and have a number of IP to MAC bindings.

I took all of the configuration from the 2832 and imported this into the 2927, disabled the DHCP service on the 2832 and assumed that the 2927 would start serving IPs when the clients next requested a lease. Nope!
I then took the LAN IP addresses for the two devices and swapped them; the logic here being that any client that wanted to renew its lease from the old device would now find the new device and would start working.
Nope!

All of my Windows devices gave the very useful 169.254 address ranges so I'm happy that there is no DHCP service running .... or at least not correctly.

I wasnt able to put a packet sniffer on the network but that is my next port of call if you guys cannot come up with a better solution.

The 2927 is running the latest firmware.

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2022 02:55 #2 by kelfaur
Replied by kelfaur on topic Re: DHCP and 2927
Did you try to export a config file from the 2832 and import it to the 2927? I tried similar with a the 2862Lac to the 2927Lac and found things didn't work. I don't think configs really work between models.

• markwaterhouse
  • Topic Author
More
30 Apr 2022 13:57 #3 by markwaterhouse
Replied by markwaterhouse on topic Re: DHCP and 2927
I did actually
I have a lot of static IP/MAC bindings and didn’t want to have the enter them all again

Factory resetting it won’t be ideal either