DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Has anyone moved their internal network to IPV6?

More
21 Apr 2022 16:43 #1 by haywardi
Hi,
I am considering moving my network to IPV6 and wondering if there are many people on here who have already done this and what their experience was and advise they have before I just jump in!

Iain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2022 22:02 #2 by edinburgh
Other than for testing, I don't see the need.

More
23 Apr 2022 09:32 #3 by haywardi
I would have agreed with you until I implemented a back up link via the mobile network to discover CG-NAT totally screws connectivity, which is bad news for VPN particularly.

It's not a show stopper at the moment, but my question is aimed at learning what it means to implement IP6 longer term, so I would be interested in your experience nevertheless.
Iain

Iain

More
23 Apr 2022 17:42 #4 by desquinn
setup and IP^ DHCP server and play and you will hardly notice much difference but it will not sort the CGNAT issue as while some ISPs have IP6 working most are still at the planning stage. Also the big wild world is still playing catchup with this so coverage is patchy. You will end up using an IP6 tunnel through one of the public sites to test it and that is just adding a layer of complexity.

Also OS fun can be had as well as things like win 10 will prefer IP 6 in some situations especially when you do not expect it and then you will not get that hour or two back :)

Des Quinn

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
24 Apr 2022 03:01 #5 by hornbyp

haywardi wrote:
I am considering moving my network to IPV6 and wondering if there are many people on here who have already done this and what their experience was and advise they have before I just jump in!

Since Zen Internet offer IPv6, I (briefly) enabled it and it appeared to spring into life without too much trouble. However, I wasn't at all convinced that I'd not exposed my entire network to the outside world (or at least the IPv6 nodes), so I de-configured it all again :?

This was almost 5 years ago and I never got round to having another go at it - having still not identified an actual need. To be honest, I'm not sure I actually understand its fundamental concepts (it's taken me since 1987 to get to grips with IPv4 :) )

haywardi wrote:
... I implemented a back up link via the mobile network to discover CG-NAT totally screws connectivity, which is bad news for VPN particularly.

Does your mobile ISP offer IPv6? (do they charge extra for it?) ... I know fixed mobile IPv4 addresses are available - for a fee.

More
24 Apr 2022 08:59 #6 by haywardi
I am also with Zen and like you I know they offer IP6. Also like you though I am nervous about potentially exposing my internal network as IP6 nodes on the wider internet.

However, for me, that's why I want to learn from someone/people who have done it. Given the interoperability of 4 & 6 I think need is probably going to be questionable long term and I can see a world where the main infrastructure goes 6 and small/medium business and homes remain on 4. But that is speculation and I would like to learn about 6 sooner rather than later so I know what it means for me.

You are right, there are some mobile providers that will offer "Businesses" with there own IP,4 address, but at a cost that is totally disproportionate and I don't like being treated as a cash cow. Fortunately I have worked in IT long enough to know that this really is not necessary, hence wanting to investigate IP6 as the carriers will find it much harder to milk their customers in the IP6 world than IP4 where the problem is real.
:-)

Iain