• ctluk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
12 May 2022 18:23 #1 by ctluk
How accurate is the Traffic Graph? was created by ctluk
Hi

I am doing some troubleshooting to find out why VoIP calls are intermittently dropping/clipping. The first thing I am looking at is bandwidth and how it's being utilised, the router (2862) is connected to a 100/100 FTTP connection and has around 20 office staff connected to it. From the Traffic Graph I am only seeing peaks of 30Mbps and an average of around 6Mbps over a week which seems low for the amount of users, there is also a cloud back that runs lightly but the transmit graph barely gets about 3Mbps. Could it be the traffic graph is only taking periodic snapshots of the traffic so short bursts of bandwidth consumption isn't being captured which is skewing the graph? I am in the process of getting stats from the ISP so I've got something to compare, just in case the graph is right and the users are just not doing any work :D

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2022 11:32 #2 by craigski
Replied by craigski on topic Re: How accurate is the Traffic Graph?
I have found Data Flow Monitor is sometimes very inaccurate on higher WAN speeds, so just use it as a guide, ie what clients are sending or receiving data at a moment in time.

As an example, the RX rate is sometimes higher than my WAN connection speed.

Draytek reports RX rate says 1,345,909 Kbps for client doing speed test using a 900,000 Kbps WAN connection.

Peak speed on WAN port in Data Flow monitor says 890,476 Kbps.

That's around 50% over than physically possible.

• ctluk
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 May 2022 10:14 #3 by ctluk
Replied by ctluk on topic Re: How accurate is the Traffic Graph?
Thanks for the reply, since posting I've managed to get detailed stats from the ISP and they are pretty close the Traffic Graph. It looks like the issue might be the router, its connected to a 250/250 FTTP connection yet the maximum throughput I can get is 90Mbps, time to swap it out with a new version to see if that helps both the VoIP issues and the throughput.