DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

VLAN query

• aaronf
  • Topic Author
More
21 May 2022 20:19 #7 by aaronf
Replied by aaronf on topic Re: VLAN query
Yeah I wouldn't be wanting the guest network to have access to printing.. I would have it set so anything that connects via ethernet automatically just goes onto my main network. As the VLANs would be for the WiFi networks basically.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• aaronf
  • Topic Author
More
23 May 2022 22:32 #8 by aaronf
Replied by aaronf on topic Re: VLAN query
How do I allow my printer to communicate on all the VLANs but only that device, nothing else.

More
24 May 2022 14:54 #9 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: VLAN query
You could achieve that in a couple of ways. The best / easiest is to put the printer on its own unique VLAN, then use the [LAN] > [General Setup] Inter-LAN routing table to control access to it. That can break discovery for Apple / Google printing and some other types of software, where they may rely on broadcast / multicast on the local subnet - which doesn't get relayed across the different subnets.

The other way, that would be better for using printer discovery in Apple / Google devices, would be to have the printer on your main / preferred subnet, then enable access between the other networks with Inter-LAN routing, then lock down access between the subnets to only the printer, using the router's [Firewall] > [Filter Rules].

Forum Administrator